KMS wont recognize KDS root directory

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KMS wont recognize KDS root directory

kubanb
Contributor III

While trying to load the .elf file to the MCU for the first time, I am at the point where the GUI asks me for the location of the KDS install folder, but when I enter it, the GUI says that it is not the root directory of a KDS install, but it is. It refuses to recognize the KDS installation.  I used the default folder during install (C:\Freescale\KDS_v3).  What now?

Barry Kuban

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
5 Replies

linestream-adam
Senior Contributor I

Barry,

KMS only supports KDS v3.0/3.1 right now.  Based on the folder location I believe you installed KDS v3.2. 

On the download page for KDS please select the Previous tab in order to download the older version.

2016-05-20 08_47_05-Software & Support _ Product Information _ Kinetis Design Studio IDE.png

Also make sure to run the updates for this version of KDS.

Thanks!

kubanb
Contributor III

I have my custom motor running well with various motion sequences using KMS and the FRDM-KV31F with FRDM-MC-LVPMSM.  Now I would like to develop a GUI program similar to KMS that runs on a PC and communicates with the FRDM-KV31F via USB.  Is there help available, either in the form of example programs or consulting?

0 Kudos

philip_drake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Barry,

A couple ofnotes: KMS version 1.0.1 is now available which is compatible with KDS 3.2

Since the GUI you describe is not a part of the MCU it really is out of the area of this community. 

If you want to try your hand at a tool I would suggest freemaster.  There are tutorials on how to integrate it into your application, although I have yet to see anyone do this for a KMS reference project.

If the GUI was to be built into the MCU then you could consider using a part with the FLEXBUS interacting with a touch display, such as is available on the TWR system.  There is a Portable Embedded GUI (PEG) tool as well.

Does you current motor control project need an MCU with the USB interface? As it stands the PC is communicating though the On-board debugger built into the MK20DX128 device on the board.  This K20 MCU is the serial to USB bridge. You could also communicate over the serial port directly to the PC's serial port. Some PCs still have serial ports or you can use a usb to serial adapter. 

Best Regards,

Philip

0 Kudos

kubanb
Contributor III

Philip,

I will look into freemaster.  You are right, my question is outside the scope of this community.  Just to close the loop though, I can use a usb to serial adapter to communicate with the uart directly, but I was wondering if there was an advantage to using the on-board debugger since it is already there and working, and if there was documentation etc.. that would help me understand how to use it to communicate.  Thanks.

Barry

0 Kudos

kubanb
Contributor III

Thanks Adam, I apparently missed that!

Barry

0 Kudos