Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kinetis: cannot enter background mode with P&E GDB server

Jump to solution
yuliap
Contributor II

Hi,

I try to connect to a custom board using P&E multilink tool and P&E GDB server for Kinetis. My MCU is MK60DN512VMD10.

I get the error message as follows:

Server running on 127.0.0.1:7224

P&E Interface detected - Flash Version 9.33

Can not enter background mode  .

Unable to initialize PEDebug.

PE-ERROR: Failed to Initialize Target

I tried to change device name, additional options (SWD mode on/off, erase on connect on/off) and debug speed, but still the same message. When I measure on the JTAG with an oscilloscope, I detect activity on the reset, TCK, TMS and TDI lines. The levels look correct. But there is no activity on TDO!

I don't have an external oscillator in my design. The EZP_CS_b pin is not connected either. Could any of this be the problem?

Regards,

Yulia

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
yuliap
Contributor II

Hi,

I finally solved it. The schematic was wrong and the pin-out of the JTAG was not correct relative to the HW.

Regards,

Yulia

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
EarlOrlando
Senior Contributor II

Hello Yulia,

It usually is due to hardware problems. Could you please share your schematic (at least the debug interface)?

In the KQRUG in the section 2.1.5.3 Debug interface are shown the hardware considerations for the JTAG and SWD interfaces.

pastedImage_1.pngpastedImage_2.png

There can be seen that the data line needs a pull up resistor. Also, it is needed a pull up resistor and a ~100 nF capacitor in the reset line, this is not shown in those schematics.

Please confirm that you have that hardware in your board.

Beast regards,

Earl Orlando.

0 Kudos
yuliap
Contributor II

Hi Earl Orlando,

thanks for the reply.

My JTAG was originally routed the wrong way but I fixed it in my cable. My configuration is as shown in your figure 2-8 besides pin 9 which is grounded on the connector. The MCU pin EZP_CS_B is floating. I have a 10k pull-up on both JTAG_TMS and reset_b. I have also added a 100n capacitor to ground. Still the same problem.

I have also tried to use the JTAG tool from the KDS on Linux. The debugger detects the tool but debugging fails with the following message:

pastedImage_0.png

The board was programmed with some simple code by another company before I got it, but it shouldn't matter, should it?

0 Kudos
EarlOrlando
Senior Contributor II

Hello Yulia,

Please be sure that the cable is ~15 cm (or shorter). Also in the KQRUG, you can see that the NMI_b pin needs a pull up resistor and the RESET_b capacitor needs to be as closer to the MCU as possible.

pastedImage_0.png

Also, in the AN4835​ in the section 3. Programming interfaces is mentioned that the EZP_CS pin (pin 9 in the 10-pin debug interface) must be in high to enable the SWD/JTAG functions. Please add a pull up resistor.​

pastedImage_2.png

Best regards,

Earl.

0 Kudos
yuliap
Contributor II

Hi,

I finally solved it. The schematic was wrong and the pin-out of the JTAG was not correct relative to the HW.

Regards,

Yulia

0 Kudos