How to establish communication between K60, TWR-SER, and a wireless router in baremetal project?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to establish communication between K60, TWR-SER, and a wireless router in baremetal project?

broccolee
Contributor III

Hi, 

I am using TWR-K60N512, with PK60DN512Z VMD10 chip and Codewarrior 10.5, and I also have the TWR-SER module. The high level application that I would like to create is to use an Android device GUI to issue commands to the K60 that controls other hardware such as motors. I found an application note (AN4810) that does exactly what I want but there's no low-level guides and examples at all and it uses the MQX. I would like to add this Android communication feature to my existing baremetal project. Is this possible?

According to the application note, I would first need to learn how to configure the K60 to establish connection with a wireless router. Can someone provide me with some guidance on how to do this in a baremetal project? 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

isaacavila
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Dao,

There is a Kinetis Peripheral Module Quick Reference document (Also known as: KQRUG) http://cache.nxp.com/files/32bit/doc/quick_ref_guide/KQRUG.pdf which shows intialization code/snipped codes for different module on Kinetis K family MCU. There is a section for ENET module and shows a basic initialization code.

However, besides configuring ENET module you will need to create you own stack in order to communicate through ethernet interface. Ethernet specifies its own layer communication (OSI module) and every layer has its own header/information (You can check the answer from Mario Castañeda: https://community.nxp.com/thread/391187 ). So, you will need to create your own ethernet stack and that will imply a lot of effort. That is why all examples/documentation about sending data through ethernet uses either RTCS (MQX) or lwIP (also there is a FNET stack which in standalone version: FNET Embedded TCP/IP Stack).

In summary, I would strongly suggest to move to another solution (Kinetis SDK, MQX) which includes support for ethernet and other stacks such as FatFS, USB, etc.

I hope this can help you!

Regards,
Isaac

0 Kudos

broccolee
Contributor III

Hi Isaac,

Thank you so much for the information! Can I use MQX with the free version of codewarrior? 

Thanks.

0 Kudos

isaacavila
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Dao,

Yes, you can use it MQX with CW free version, however, Code size is limited in CW and if your application is big enough beyond this limit you won't be able to flash your MCU.

In Kinetis SDK 1.3, MQX and RTCS are supported and you can use KDS (which is totally free). Another alternative is to use the lwIP which is available in both SDK 1.3 and newest SDK 2.0. You can give a look to www.nxp.com/ksdk

I hope this can help you!

Regards,

Isaac

0 Kudos