Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COM handshake forced by FreeMASTER?

Jump to solution
matejpacha_Ineltech
Contributor II

Hi,

I came arround an issue with FTDI used on a custom board, featuring RTS and CTS signals to control a bootloader process. I have tested a common terminal program (Hercules from hw.cz), which opens the COM port with no HW control and communicates with the MCU correctly. However, when I try to open COM port communication using FreeMASTER, the RTS signal is forced on and the MCU goes to reset (thus no communication is detected by FreeMASTER app). Temporarily I can remove the signals from the FTDI on the PCB, however, I would appreciate if the handshake signals can be configured in the FreeMASTER settings (if I disable handshake signals in the driver settings, FreeMASTER forces them back to enable and the issue persists). I understand that handshake signals are recommended for Windows users as it keeps the communication with FTDI-based devices alive. However, in this particular case it prevents the communication enitrely.

If there is any workaround, please let me know.

Thanks,

Matej

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Ahoj Mateji,

I confirm the RTS control is enabled by FreeMASTER which means the Windows will automatically assert the signal when opening the port.

We will make the feature configurable in next version. Actually, as the 3.1.3 is already at the door, so this change will make it to 3.1.4 early next year. There might be a prototype version earlier, I would inform you in this thread.

Thanks for this 'new feature' proposal.

Regards,
Michal

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
matejpacha_Ineltech
Contributor II

Ahoj Michale,

thank you for considering it in the future release. It's highly appreciated!

Regards,

Matej

0 Kudos
MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Ahoj Mateji,

yes, this feature is already implemented in 3.1.4 prototype and will be released during March 2022. Please contact me directly at michal.hanak@nxp.com to discuss how we can test the feature together.

Regards,
Michal

0 Kudos
MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Ahoj Mateji,

I confirm the RTS control is enabled by FreeMASTER which means the Windows will automatically assert the signal when opening the port.

We will make the feature configurable in next version. Actually, as the 3.1.3 is already at the door, so this change will make it to 3.1.4 early next year. There might be a prototype version earlier, I would inform you in this thread.

Thanks for this 'new feature' proposal.

Regards,
Michal

0 Kudos
matejpacha_Ineltech
Contributor II

Ahoj Michale,

just curious if there is any early prototype available?

Thanks

Matej

0 Kudos