NXP Rapid IoT: unable to authenticate device's hardware credentials

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NXP Rapid IoT: unable to authenticate device's hardware credentials

vilem
Contributor III

I am not able to provision my NXP Rapid IoT prototyping kit. The device is listed but when I click "Provision" all I get is "unable to authenticate device's hardware credentials" message. Same results with the Out of the box application as well as with my first application prepared based on the tutorial. Both NXP as well as my android mobile (Xiaomi Redmi Note 3) restarted several times - still the same results.

Screenshot_2019-01-16-19-54-26-315_com.nxp.iot.rapidiot.png

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
8 Replies

Suryarasp
Contributor I

I had same problem, frustrated with devise.complete waste of money and time.good concept of product but implemented badly

0 Kudos

vilem
Contributor III

PROBLEM SOLVED - Mea Culpa!

The issue is my mobile - I tried a different one and it worked. Then I realized I have my mobile paired with another BLE device - Xiaomi mi band 2. It started to work once I canceled this pairing.

Vilem

vilem
Contributor III

Small update: Once provisioned the device can be operated from my mobile (Xiaomi Redmi Note 3). But I am not able to provision my device from that mobile under any cimcumstances. Have to take my daughter's mobile (Xiaomi Redmi 6) to provision.

0 Kudos

frq05186
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Vilém,

What you described is quite surprising.

Normaly during the provisioning process, the kit is authentified by the server using a key stored in the A1006 component included in the kit. From what you describe it appears that your kit was not authentified for an unclear reason.

This means that, for now and via the Rapid IoT studio, you will not be able to provision the kit on our servers. The provisioning process breaks and you cannot connect the kit to the phone (application) over BLE.

In our stand alone weather station example:https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-342336

The authentication is not enabled via A1006 certificate and with this one you will be able to connect the kit to your phone over BLE.

Could you provide me with the serial number of your kit (to be found at the back) ? This will help me retrieving the test log of your kit. Rapid IoT are all tested ok before shipping but I will take a deep look in the log to check if I can detect something weird.

0 Kudos

vilem
Contributor III

Hi Eric,

I followed the hint from Estephania (Reset & Reflashing the Out of the box application) without any success - it behaves still the same way.

Hereunder is the ID and Mac of my unit: 

ID 410379789406069B, M 00603700000AAED9

NXPback.jpg

I will try the weather station example over the weekend and let you know.

Thank you for your support.

Vilém

0 Kudos

ralphjy
Contributor II

Hi Eric,

I am probably having a related issue but slightly different.  I am able to operate my device using the Out-of-Box Demo and the Weather Station application that are provided in the Rapid IoT Studio examples.  When I try to use other sample applications that I've found on the forum, I run into a host of problems that are related to the Bluetooth connection.  One thing that I've noticed is that is consistent is that if I use the provided binary files that the Rapid IoT app on the phone cannot see the device when it is searching even though the phone can see the device in its Bluetooth setup.  If I recompile the various demos then some of the them will be seen and will provision but don't completely work.

Here is what I have tried:

Remote Motion Detector

1) Using provided binary - device cannot be found

2) Using recompiled binary - device can be provisioned and phone app can enable but not disable the detector, i.e. on/off does not toggle (this is with an iPhone, with an Android tablet it provisions but does not function).  Motion detection feature does work on the iPhone although I can't disable it once it's enabled.

Smart Locker

2) Using recompiled binary - device can be provisioned and phone app doesn't work lock state does not toggle (I can toggle it on the device, but change is not detected on the phone and phone cannot change state of the device)

Smart Air Conditioner v0.2

2) Using recompiled binary - device cannot be provisioned - unable to authenticate device's hardware credentials

So. it feels like I've got some sort of firmware/software incompatibility.

I've tried recovering the K64F and KW41Z firmware using the documented boot modes.

Is there updated firmware that I should be using? 

How do I determine the version of the loaded firmware?

Is there a document that describes the Bluetooth detection and provisioning process?  What determines if the A1006 key is used or not?  I haven't detected differences in the Atmosphere code.

It appears that other have been having these same problems for a while : https://community.nxp.com/thread/482534 

I'm kind of stuck if I can't get this fixed.

Ralph

IMG_1791.JPG

0 Kudos

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, 

I'm not sure what do you mean by restarting the Rapid IoT, I imagine you refer to the procedure mentioned in this post 

https://community.nxp.com/thread/481369  

If you have not tried it, could you please do it? Also, do you have another device registered for the Rapid IoT? if you do, could you please try to erase it and try to provision again? 

If those do not help, could you please try flashing the Out Of The Box example again in the Rapid IoT. 

Regards

vilem
Contributor III

Reset did not help, flashing Out Of The Box example did not help. The behaviour is still the same. 

0 Kudos