AnsweredAssumed Answered

CodWarrior unhandled exception

Question asked by Doug Paulsen on Feb 25, 2014
Latest reply on Mar 3, 2014 by Pascal Irrle

Greetings:

I've recently been forcibly upgraded from a faithful XP machine to Windows 7 (32-bit).  I have loaded CodeWarrior 6.3 and continued working on my project (MCF51 based, if that's important).  CW seems to run (although I'm writing code only at this point, not debugging) but when I exit CW I get these three errors.

"CodeWarrior encountered an unhandled exception 0xc0000005 at address 0x773e77a2

(The memory at address 0x00000004 could not be written)

"CodeWarrior encountered an unhandled exception 0x0eedfade at address 0x0012d4ec

"Runtime error 217 at 045D4BA1"

A forum search finds reports of these errors quite routine.  Most cases seem to be successfully resolved by changing the CodeWarrior IDE Properties to "Disable desktop composition". 

Alas, but this solution has proved ineffective in my case.  As most of the forum entries are dated a couple of years ago, I was hoping their might be some additional thoughts or advice available now.

In the mean time, I have experimented with a couple of samples and older and much smaller projects.  These Win7 + CW 6.3 digests without complaint.  Could my problem be size related?  (I have a Standard license, but have left CW 6.3 in Special Edition mode as I will shortly have to switch machines again).

I also dragged out an ancient XP machine.  Despite being frustratingly slow, I loaded the same CW 6.3 there as Special Edition.  My Win7 + CW 6.3 adverse project builds without complaint in that environment. 

There are forum comments that CW 6.3 is not fully Win 7 compatible (although one cannot vouch for the authority of those authors).  Switching to CW 10 has been suggested (I use the word "switching" meaningfully as there doesn't seem to be a direct migration path), but I'm hesitant to follow that advice owing to fast looming deadlines.  If CW 6.3 is, in fact, unstable under Win 7, then I suppose the next option would be to drop back to XP - and risk the ire of IT for my effort.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Outcomes