cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MXRT1051 eMMC boot

lukaszskrzypcza
Contributor II

Hi,

We are developing custom board with i.MXRT1051 uC. It is supposed to boot from eMMC (but it fails). At this point it's set to boot in internal boot mode (ROM bootloader) with GPIO BOOT_CFG disabled (BT_FUE_SEL=1) & BOOT_CFG1(7:6)=0x10 (MMC/eMMC boot). Rest of fuses is untouched. What fuses shall be set to boot in such mode ? eMMC is Kingston EMM04G-M627-x02U and supports:

Legacy MMC: SDR; 3,3/1,8V; 1,4,8-bit

High Speed SDR: SDR; 3,3/1,8V; 4,8-bit

High Speed DDR: DDR; 3,3/1,8V; 4,8-bit

HS200: SDR; 1,8V; 4,8-bit

HS400: DDR; 1,8V; 8-bit

What I understand from i.MXRT1050 RM it shall boot in 4-bit SDR mode with BOOT_CFG2(2:1)=00.

Is it possible that uC doesn't support particular eMMC boot mode even if it's mentioned in RM ?

How to debug ROM bootloader to find out what's wrong ?

Best Regards, 

Luke

0 Kudos
1 Reply

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi  Lukasz

>Is it possible that uC doesn't support particular eMMC boot mode even if it's mentioned in RM ?

no. May be recommended to try it with i.MXRT1050 EVK board.

>How to debug ROM bootloader to find out what's wrong ?

I am afraid there is no way for debugging as boot process and preparing images is much more

complicated compared with (for example) i.MX6 processors.

One can try to test emmc signals with oscilloscope and find where boot flow stops. Boot process

is quite well described in documentaion:

i.MX RT1050 MCU/Applications Crossover Processor | Arm® Cortex®-M7 @600 MHz, 512KB SRAM |NXP 

for example AN12107  How to Enable Boot from Octal SPI Flash and SD Card Figure1 Bootable image layout,

Figure 8-1. Boot flow, Figure 8-6. Expansion device boot flow (1 of 6) i.MXRT1050 Reference Manual.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos