Using elftosb Utility with GCC Compiler and Linker

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using elftosb Utility with GCC Compiler and Linker

mjpovi
Contributor III

Am using gcc-arm-none-eabi 0.3-2021.10 (arm-none-eabi-g++ )  to compile and link (vs MCUXpresso provided toolchain version):

arm-none-eabi-g++ (GNU Arm Embedded Toolchain 10.3-2021.10) 10.3.1 20210824 (release)
Copyright (C) 2020 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

It seems that the .output by the gnu linker, .elf, .srec or .bin, do not work well with elftosb, as I do not get any image converting the linker output using elftosb that executes on the MCU.

I suspect a configuration issue or compatibility issue between elftosb and the GNU toolchain.

What sources of information are there that I may refer to besides the elftosb users guide to help me work through making a compatible input for elftosb ?       

5 Replies

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
Whether you ever to use the Arm GNU Toolchain to compile for testing, if not, please give it a try.
Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

jay_heng
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Can you please share your elftosb command and also the .srec file with me? i can try it on my side.

Btw, which MCU part you are using?

mjpovi
Contributor III

Using the MIMXRT1064

sudo ../../tools/elftosb -f imx -V -c ./gen/bd_file/imx_application_gen.bd -o test.img test.srec

Where the .bd file content is :

options {
flags = 0x00;
startAddress = 0x70000000;
ivtOffset = 0x1000;
initialLoadSize = 0x2000;
entryPointAddress = 0x7000234d;
}
sources {
elfFile = extern(0);
}

section (0) {
}

By the way can you explain what ivtOffset is and what initialLoadSize are ?  the elftosb documentation does not seem to describe it ?

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
The attached srec file is unable to generate a good image file, and you'd better refer to the application note to learn how to generate a good image file.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

mjpovi
Contributor III

Sure I will do that...

0 Kudos