Is there still a system hang issue when using IPU during video de-interlacing?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there still a system hang issue when using IPU during video de-interlacing?

chetkaufman
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

From my customer:

We have found that the IPU can be enabled and set to provide deinterlace support on Android.

The VPU decode (VpuDecComponent.cpp) tries to open /dev/mxc_ipu and fails due to a permissions problem. Using:

chmod 666 /dev/mxc_ipu

allows the open to succeed and the IPU will be used to deinterlace.

There is information about enabling the IPU for decode in the following forum threads:

https://community.freescale.com/thread/306462

https://community.freescale.com/message/349982#349982

The latter thread mentions that the deinterlace mode is disabled because "we found some problem for IPU in MX6Q, will cause system hang in some cases. This issue is still in checking."

It used to be if opening the /data/omx_post_process file mentioned in that thread failed the code would explicitly disable IPU post processing.  That code has been removed, so it appears that the current situation where the IPU post processing is disabled might be just an accident of the permissions on the /dev/mxc_ipu device.

So, we're wondering if there's still a concern about the system hang if the IPU post-processing is activated?  Is there any information about how the hang might be reproduced so we can verify that it no longer occurs?

0 Kudos
5 Replies

jamesbone
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

We already escalated your issue so we are in process to get some details about this issue.

0 Kudos

karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Employee

The issue hasn't been fixed.

It is a ramdon issue, after enabled de-interlace in OMX, then use gallary to playback 1080i video, there is chance to get the hang up issue.

chetkaufman
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Qiang Li,  my customer would like to know the symptoms of the IPU hang issue during de-interlacing.    Can you describe the symptoms they would see on the display if the IPU hang issue happens?   This will help them to know if they experience the issue.  

0 Kudos

qiang_li-mpu_se
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

How to reproduce this issue:

Run JB4.2.2 on a MX6Q SabreSD board.

Single Hannstar XGA LVDS panel display.

Enable the de-interlace feature:

# echo 2 > /data/omx_post_process

# chmod 777 /data/omx_post_process

Play interlaced 1080i video clip in gallary.

Press home key to stop video play and press gallary icon to resume playing in turn quickly.

The board will hang randomly.

0 Kudos

chetkaufman
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Thanks Qiang Li!   Can you describe what symptoms occur on the display when the board hangs during IPU de-interlacing?  Do you have screen shot or picture you can share?

0 Kudos