cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interfaces required for flashing & Bring-up of custom iMX8 board

Viktors94
Contributor I

Hi,

I am currently designing the hardware for a custom iMX8QM board, based on the iMX8QM MEK Processor board.

I would like to avoid having any USB connections and connectors to the board. What are the required interfaces to allow flashing of completely empty processor in this case? I've tried searching for some clear answers on this but haven't found anything very obvious. 

/Viktor

0 Kudos
5 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Viktor

usb is needed for ddr test and flashing images with uuu tool, so I am afraid it is not

possible to remove it. For unused interfaces one can look at

i.MX 8QuadMax/i.MX 8QuadXPlus Hardware Developer’s Guide

Best regards
igor

Viktors94
Contributor I

Hi and thank you for the reply.

Then I'm gonna have to figure something out to allow the USB flashing for new boards. Maybe some edge connector with pogo-pins or similar.

On the EVM they are using the USB Type-C, i.e. USB_OTG2 for this. I guess only the USB 2.0 DP/DN is needed for the flashing, and not the unidirectional Superspeed pairs, is this correct?

Viktor

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

yes it is correct.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

Viktors94
Contributor I

Hi,

Perfect, thank you. Is it only USB_OTG2 that supports the flashing/ddr tool or does USB_OTG1 also work for this purpose? I need the USB 3.0 for connectivity to a LTE Modem which means USB OTG2 would be occupied on the board already.

/Viktor

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

both can be used, ROM uses port that is active first.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos