How to disable HDMI console output Device tree iMX6

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable HDMI console output Device tree iMX6

patsandt
Contributor III

When I boot my imx6 board (custom, but I did not develop the device tree files), I see the Linux penquins and a login prompt on the HDMI display. Neither of these is desired and I'm assuming there is someway to disable the HDMI/console functionality. I have console output on uart2, which is where I'd like it.

I've searched the dts files looking for hdmi. Lots of hits, but only a few seem to mention "display" and none mention console or uart2.

Can someone give me the "magic word" that I can search for that will indicate the dts line that maps the console to HDMI?

Note that I've looked through posts, but find only reference to how to add video consoles or non-device tree solutions.

It is not clear to me how to apply any of these solutions to my problem. I'm a device tree newbie, but I've managed some changes in the past. Not familiar with console though.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

patsandt
Contributor III

By deleting /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty@tty1.service, I can get rid of the HDMI login prompt. I can do this post-boot and reboot and it works. I have no idea how to delete a file pre-boot (as part of the do-install). If there is a bitbake way to delete the file, let me know. Otherwise, I'm going to have to figure out how to patch it.

0 Kudos

patsandt
Contributor III

Thank you for your interest. The board is a custom board, but significantly derived from SabreLite. We use a Phytec SOC. My particular dts file does not list any kernel commandline parameters, but many of the others in the directory do. My dts file starts with

#include "imx6q.dtsi"
#include "imx6qdl-phytec-phycore-som.dtsi"
#include <dt-bindings/input/input.h>

Maybe that is useful to you?

Please note that I want to use the HDMI, just not have the console go to it during any part of the boot.

My personal BSP is derived from BSP-Yocto-iMX6-PD15.3.0.

0 Kudos

Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Pat,

You can set a custom black uboot splash screen and then keep it during kernel initialization. Please check posts below.

How do I customize the splashscreen image in U-boot? 

Patch to support uboot logo keep from uboot to kernel for NXP Linux and Android BSP (HDMI, LCD and L... 

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Carlos

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

patsandt
Contributor III

I think the first 3 steps in the first link are followable. The others seem

to be setup for someone using make instead of bitbake.

Psplash seems to have a default splash screen, but it is not the penquins

as displayed on my system. I'm unclear where to park any new file I create

in order to replace the penquins.

I'm just starting to investigate the second link, although it also does not

seem to use bitbake.

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 2:22 PM, Carlos_Musich <admin@community.nxp.com>

0 Kudos

Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Pat,

In what machine is based your BSP? Where did you get the dts file?

Carlos

0 Kudos