Does the latest version of u-boot (2012.04) support NAND booting?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the latest version of u-boot (2012.04) support NAND booting?

x10
Contributor V

Hi all

specially to Wolfgang

Does the latest version of u-boot (2012.04) support NAND booting? I download the latest code using git:

git clone git://git.denx.de/u-boot-imx.git u-boot-imx, but I can not find any GPMI code in ../mtd/nand/. Are some pacthes required? how to get them? u-boot-2009.08 from ltib does contain all GPMI driver code, with patch of course. 

BR

Cheng Shi

Emtronix

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

wolfgang_gaerbe
Contributor II

Hi Cheng,

Booting from NAND is supported.

It was easy to install UBOOT using UBOOT from  SD version with provided env scripts...

update_nand_full......

Otherwise I didn´t manage to partition and flash uImage/rootfs from UBOOT using UBIFS.

Got errors on partitioning.

Could do that afterwards from booted linux using ng_tools(??), anyway - there are lots of descriptions for that job on the net.

If you want to run the uImage from tlib distribution - you will observe a crash because the frequency scaling wants to modify the pll on startup..., there is a patch for this issue - see my threads on imxcommunity.

Should be no problem with "normal" kernel.

I ended up with a system running from nand - but got spurious errors on the filesystem.(same as other users reporting)

Somehow I think this will be fixed within few weeks (UBOOT-UBIFS)... so I wouldn´t invest too much time - just have a running linux at first sight - and try again with newer releases as times go by.

I would try to stick with denx/m28/yocto releases/toolchain.

For my uboot, I used denx/m28 as basis - and copied the hardware init from imx28evk to the board specific files.

rgds. and good luck !

Wolfgang

0 Kudos

x10
Contributor V

Thank you Oman, :-)

BR

Cheng Shi

0 Kudos

OmanNadeem
Contributor I

Hi Emtronix,

u-boot 2012.04 supports booting from NAND. GPMI driver is at mtd\nand\mxs_nand.c.

You will have to enable it in configuration file (mx28evk.h). 

#define CONFIG_NAND_MXS

Regards

Oman

0 Kudos