cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 12.1.0_1.0.0 build failed for imx8mp

Jump to solution
eric_bentley
Contributor III

I have an Ubuntu server that I use to build images for the imx8mp for Android versions 9-14. With the exception of Android 12, they all build correct images.  Android 12, however, fails when trying to build the kernel (full log file attached) but I have not been able to resolve.

MODINFO modules.builtin.modinfo
  GEN     modules.builtin
  LD      .tmp_vmlinux.btf
  BTF     .btf.vmlinux.bin.o
  LD      .tmp_vmlinux.kallsyms1
  KSYMS   .tmp_vmlinux.kallsyms1.S
  AS      .tmp_vmlinux.kallsyms1.S
  LD      .tmp_vmlinux.kallsyms2
  KSYMS   .tmp_vmlinux.kallsyms2.S
  AS      .tmp_vmlinux.kallsyms2.S
  LD      vmlinux
  BTFIDS  vmlinux
FAILED: load BTF from vmlinux: Invalid argument
make[2]: *** [/home/eric/projects/nxp/imx-android-12.1.0_1.0.0/android_build/vendor/nxp-opensource/kernel_imx/Makefile:1250: vmlinux] Error 255
make[2]: *** Deleting file 'vmlinux'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/eric/projects/nxp/imx-android-12.1.0_1.0.0/android_build/out/target/product/evk_8mp/obj/KERNEL_OBJ'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:237: __sub-make] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/eric/projects/nxp/imx-android-12.1.0_1.0.0/android_build/vendor/nxp-opensource/kernel_imx'
make: *** [/home/eric/projects/nxp/imx-android-12.1.0_1.0.0/android_build/device/nxp/common/build/kernel.mk:197: /home/eric/projects/nxp/imx-android-12.1.0_1.0.0/android_build/out/target/product/evk_8mp/obj/KERNEL_OBJ/arch/arm64/boot/Image.lz4] Error 2
make: Leaving directory '/home/eric/projects/nxp/imx-android-12.1.0_1.0.0/android_build'

I have verified CLANG/AARCH64 and pahole versions are as specified in the Android 12 User's guide:

┌─2d [eric@SOHOS88K0033:~/projects/ … /android_build] $ 
└▪ ${AARCH64_GCC_CROSS_COMPILE}gcc --version
aarch64-none-linux-gnu-gcc (GNU Toolchain for the A-profile Architecture 10.3-2021.07 (arm-10.29)) 10.3.1 20210621
Copyright (C) 2020 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

└▪ git -C ${CLANG_PATH} log --oneline -1
2afa11ccc (HEAD -> master, origin/master, origin/main, origin/HEAD) Update prebuilt Clang to r498229b (17.0.4).
└▪ pahole --version
v1.25

I've seen some hits with google regarding this kernel but nothing I've been able to use to resolve the issue.  

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

-Eric

PS: make invoked with:
./imx-make.sh kernel -j40 |& tee build-`date +%F-%T`.txt
which created a build log with timestamp in the name.  However, this forum would not allow me to upload the file with that name.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
eric_bentley
Contributor III

This looks like an issue with incompatible tools.  I created a VM with Ubuntu 18.04, installed the tools per the user's guide, and everything builds correctly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
eric_bentley
Contributor III

This looks like an issue with incompatible tools.  I created a VM with Ubuntu 18.04, installed the tools per the user's guide, and everything builds correctly.

0 Kudos
Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Are you working with kernel form NXP since it looks like a kernel issue, you can download from:

https://www.nxp.com/design/design-center/software/embedded-software/i-mx-software/android-automotive...

Regards

0 Kudos
eric_bentley
Contributor III
this is the kernel that is downloaded by the default command:

source ~/projects/nxp/imx-android-12.1.0_1.0.0/imx_android_setup.sh

I have made zero modifications.  Just trying to build the default image.
0 Kudos