i.MX 8/8X Family DDR Tools Release

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important: If you have any questions or would like to report any issues with the DDR tools or supporting documents please create a support ticket in the i.MX community. Please note that any private messages or direct emails are not monitored and will not receive a response.

i.MX 8/8X DDR Tools Overview

This page contains the latest releases for the i.MX 8/8X DDR Tools. The tools described on this page cover the following i.MX 8/8X Family SoCs with the System Controller Unit (SCU):

• i.MX 8QuadMax and its derivatives i.MX 8QuadPlus
  • i.MX 8QuadXPlus and its derivatives i.MX 8DualXPlus and i.MX 8DualX 

NOTE: For the i.MX 8M Family of DDR tools please refer to the : i.MX 8M Family DDR Tool Release 

The purpose of the i.MX 8/8X DDR Tools is to enable users to generate and test a custom DRAM initialization based on their device configuration (density, number of chip selects, etc.) and board layout (data bus bit swizzling, etc.).  This process equips the user to then proceed with the bring-up of a boot loader and an OS.  Once the OS is brought up, it is recommended to run an OS-based memory test (like Linux memtester) to further verify and test the DDR memory interface.  

The i.MX 8/8X DDR Tools consist of:

• DDR Register Programming Aid (RPA)
  • DDR Stress test

For more details regarding these DDR tools and their usage, refer to the MX8X_DDR_Tools_quickstart_guide.pdf attached to this page.

i.MX 8/8X DDR Register Programming Aid (RPA)

The i.MX 8/8X DDR RPA (or simply RPA) is an Excel spreadsheet tool used to develop DDR initialization for a user’s specific DDR configuration (DDR device type, density, etc.). The RPA generates the DDR initialization in two formats (in separate Excel worksheet tabs):

• DDR Stress Test script: This format is used specifically with the DDR stress test by first copying the contents in this worksheet tab and then pasting it to a text file, naming the document with the “.ds” file extension. The user will select this file when executing the DDR stress test.
  • DCD CFG file: This format is the configuration file used specifically by the SCU Firmware (SCFW). In this scenario, the user copies the contents in this worksheet tab and pastes it to a text file, naming the document with the “.cfg” file extension and placing this file in the appropriate SCFW board file directory.

i.MX 8/8X DDR Register Programming Aid (RPA): Current Versions

Note: In all cases, the RPA revision is aligned to a minimum SCFW version as shown in the table below. In some cases, the BSP alignment is provided as extra detail, however, the RPA tool is specifically aligned to a minimum SCFW version and later.

ProcessorMask RevisionsMemory SupportedLatest RPA Version *Notes
i.MX 8QMB0LPDDR4

Rev 21**

Rev 20**

Rev 19**

Rev 21: Fixed 1 DRC operation to comment out calls to VREF training to DRC1 and added DDRC_SCHED register programming to align with latest SCFW programming (refer to RPA revision history for more details).

Rev 20: use with SCFW 1.4.0 and NXP BSP GA version L5.4.3_2_0_0 later (to support SW VREF training work around command)

Rev 19: use with SCFW 1.3.1 and NXP BSP GA version L5.4.3_1_0_0

i.MX 8QXPC0, B0LPDDR4

Rev 14**

Rev 13**

Rev 14: use with SCFW 1.4.0 and NXP BSP GA version L5.4.3_2_0_0 later (to support SW VREF training work around command)

Rev 13: use with SCFW 1.3.1 and NXP BSP GA version L5.4.3_1_0_0

i.MX 8QXPC0, B0DDR3LRev 20

-Compatible with SCFW 1.1.10 and later

-Changes made to this revision do not affect the DCD CFG file output based on v19

-Issue discovered in the DDR stress test script, wherein certain commands were not being properly configured based on the ECC setting in the Register Configuration worksheet; this was resolved (cells A84, A87, A90, A93 )

-In addition, in both DCD CFG and DDR stress test script worksheets, all commands that depend on ECC config have been updated to include an "OR" with whether or not the data bus is configured for 16-bit (ECC is only supported for full 32-bit data bus width configurations)

i.MX 8DualXC0, B0LPDDR4

Rev 14**

Rev 13**

Rev 14: use with SCFW 1.4.0 and NXP BSP GA version L5.4.3_2_0_0 later (to support SW VREF training work around command)

Rev 13: use with SCFW 1.3.1 and NXP BSP GA version L5.4.3_1_0_0

i.MX 8DualXC0, B0DDR3LRev 18-Compatible with SCFW 1.1.10 and later

* For a history of the previous versions of an RPA, refer to the Revision History tab of the respective RPA. 

** In general, it is recommended to use the latest RPA tool even with a pre-released BSP as it ensures you are testing with the latest fixes and features. Older versions of the RPA may be provided to support existing/released versions of the BSP.  This only applies to those RPA tools that are compatible with pre-release BSPs but may not be compatible with released versions of the BSP.  

i.MX 8/8X DDR Stress Test 

The i.MX 8/8X DDR stress test tool is a Windows-based software tool that is used as a mechanism to verify that the DDR initialization is operational prior to building the SCFW for use with u-boot and OS bring-up. The DDR stress test uses the .ds DDR stress test script generated from the RPA tool along with a special build of the SCFW, built with option:

DDR_CON=ddr_stress_test_parser

Or in the case of i.MX 8QuadMax use of one DDR Controller:

DDR_CON=ddr_stress_test_parser_DRC0_only

The DDR stress test offers a Target option to dictate which SoC is under test. The following are Target options to select from:

MX8QM – used to test i.MX 8QuadMax and its derivates i.MX 8QuadPlus
MX8QX – used to test i.MX 8QuadXPlus and its derivates i.MX 8DualXPlus/DualX

To install the DDR Stress Test, save and extract the zip file mx8_ddr_stress_test_ERxx_installation.zip   (where 'xx' is the current version number) and follow the on-screen installation instructions.

Note, when extracting the DDR Stress Test tool .zip file, it is recommended to perform an "Extract here" operation.  Some systems do not allow for the extracted installation executable to run from another folder and will only work when being executed from the same location as the original, downloaded zip file. 

For more details on the DDR stress test usage, refer to the MX8_DDR_Tool_User_Guide found in the DDR Stress Test tool delivery.

NOTE: Before using the DDR tools on a new custom board, the user should properly port the SCU Firmware (SCFW) to this new board. The DDR tools will not be able to run without a properly ported and working SCFW.

i.MX 8/8X DDR Stress Test Requirements

• The tool requires access to the Windows registry, hence users must run it in administrator mode.
  • The tool cannot run on an OEM closed device that requires images signed by the customer
  • When users design new i.MX 8/8X boards, please make sure to follow the rules outlined in the respective Hardware Developers Guide and the MX8_DDR_Tool_User_Guide, which can help users bring up DDR devices on their respective i.MX 8/8X boards.

i.MX 8/8X DDR Stress Test User Guide

The i.MX 8/8X DDR Stress Test tool includes the document: MX8_DDR_Tool_User_Guide.pdf

NOTE: Please read the MX8_DDR_Tool_User_Guide inside the package carefully before you use this tool.

DDR Stress Test Revision History

RevMajor Changes (Features)NXP BSP Software Version
ER 14Updated to support parsing of the VREF training command in the DDR Stress Test scriptThis version is aligned with NXP BSP GA version L5.4.3_2_0_0 and later.

Related Resources Links:

Attachments
Version history
Revision #:
2 of 2
Last update:
2 weeks ago
Updated by:

Contributors