Communication between Thread-BLE-Hybrid and Thread-REED device

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communication between Thread-BLE-Hybrid and Thread-REED device

steffenjahnkepa
Contributor III

I have a question regarding the Thread and BLE hybrid software from the SDK for FRDM-KW41Z. We have one node running this hybrid software and another node running the normal REED software.

Now we want to demonstrate, that it is possible, to access the REED device via the hybrid device and the IoT Toolbox App running on a smartphone. One possible use case could be, to simply change the color of the LED via an CoAP POST command from the smartphone.

Unfortunately, we don't get an connection between both nodes? The Question is, if it is necessary, to change some configrations in any config files, to let both devices communicate? Or is it simply not possible to do it this way?

Thanks a lot!

4 Replies

Alexandru-Lilia
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Steffen,

Tell me if the following scenario is suitable for you.

Flash a board with ble_thread_router_wireless_uart which you will find in hybrid examples in SDK. Flash another board with an end_device. Now go into IoT Toolbox app, go for Thread Shell app and scan for the hybrid device. After you see it and connect to it, you will be notified by Android to pair with the device, the passcode is 999999.

Now you have a Thread shell you can control via your phone/tablet. For example, you can create a Thread network from your phone/tablet and to see that it worked you can connect the end device to it. Now that the two Thread devices are connected, you can send a CoAP message to toggle the LED (help coap in shell to see more details on how to do this).

Please tell me if you need more assistance with this.

Regards,

Lilian

steffenjahnkepa
Contributor III

Hello Lilian,

Thanks for your description. Our problem was, that we used the wireless_examples_thread_router_eligible_device_freertos demo. This one will not connect to the hybrid node. But with the end_device we are able to control the LEDs of the nodes behind the hybrid node. Thanks a lot.

Best Regards,

Steffen

0 Kudos

Alexandru-Lilia
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Steffen,

That is strange, it should have worked the same with the router eligible device(REED). Are you sure that you have paired with the 999999 pin when you have tried with the REED? Usually that is the problem, not pairing the devices together. Provided that you didn't change the default parameters.

Regards,

Lilian

0 Kudos

steffenjahnkepa
Contributor III

Hello Lilian,

Yes, i'm pretty sure, that we tried it the same way, as we did with the end_device software. The thread shell on the smartphone was definetly connected and paired to the hybrid node. But after typing the thr join command into the terminal of the REED device the connection failed always.

But if you are saying it should work, i will try it agian!

Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Steffen

0 Kudos