Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMA9555 where to start from?

costinconstanti
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi everyone,

I know this might be an odd question related to a discontinued device, but none the less it is a very nice motion sensing piece of hardware.

So, after reading it's datasheet (https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/302/MMA9555L-1126801.pdf ) i realized i have no idea where to start from. How is the internal MCU programmed and how does it interact with the sensor's internal modules (mailbox, scheduler etc.). Are there some program examples? I bought myself a Freescale USB BDM programmer. Is there a connection diagram with the MMA9555 for debug/programming purposes?

Thank you all in advance,

Costin

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

costinconstanti
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jacques,

I need to correct myself on the previous post. I have only the small MMA9555L DIL like small board that gets in the daughter-board of the KITMMA9555LEVM.

I had a better look and read the documentation, realizing i don;t have the whole piece of hardware.

Costin

0 Kudos

JackITB
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Costin,

As a matter of fact, MMA9555L flash memory cannot be programmed by the user. Main reason for that being that there's practically no room left in the flash. Nevertheless, if you already have the KITMMA9555LEVM, you can use the demo GUI (PC Tool to configure and collect pedometer sensor data) downloadable from the product web page, to exercise all functions available in MMA9555L FW, such as pedometer, six-direction orientation, etc...
If your intent is to develop/customize the device FW, you shall use MMA9559L variant which can be found in the MMA9559LKUBE demokit.

Let me know which hardware you have or plan to use in order I can provide more advice.

Regards,   Jacques.

costinconstanti
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jacques,

Yes, I have the KITMMA9555LEVM. Interesting. I will try the software. So you are saying that the sole purpose of that 32 bit MCU available on the chip is to be loaded with a factory firmware to facilitate the functionality the whole component offers? ; so it works in a way like a "discrete"  3 axis sensor. Why bother having such a powerful MCU there?

Thank you for the info. and awaiting your next directions.

Costin

0 Kudos