cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Booting with sd card in MPC8309twr

satishkumary
Contributor II

Hi,

This is my first post if my way of getting things are not proper please let me know.

I'm trying to boot the MPC8309twr with sd card. I found some documents AN3659_bf.pdf(describes the format for sd card boot header for MPC8536E) which uses a program called boot format. While formatting the sd card with boot format, we need to pass arguments as configuration file & bootloader image.Here I am having some doubts

a) How to build a RAM BASED u-boot Image, for building ram based u-boot what are the modifications need to be done in source code.

b) How to load the QE CODE, while bootloader is executing from NOR Flash it will load QE CODE with some predefined address in u-boot(ex:- fe7e0000) from flash. QE Code is necessary to load at executing at bootloader. so how can i load this QE CODE with sd card boot, for that in SD card where i need to copy this QE CODE.

with regards,

satish kumar.

Labels (1)
4 Replies

jitenpatel
Contributor II

Hi satish,

I am also trying to boot MPC8309 twr board using SD card. I am not clear how to configure u-boot for RAMBOOT. Can you provide detail steps for configure u-boot for RAMBOOT for MPC8309 twr board.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

1) In the SD U-Boot configure code, the default CONFIG_DEFAULT_IMMR is 0xe000_0000, it should be set to 0xfff0_0000 for SD boot.

It is needed to compile mpc8309 ramboot(disable DDR init at u-boot, it is a must), MPC8309 ROM code will copy the sd-uboot to the Target Address (DDR address) 0x01000000 and the Execution Starting Address is set to 0x 01000100.

CFG_RESET_SOURCE[0:3]=1101 or 1110.

The RCW is configured as:

RCWL0x44050008

RCWH0xA4200000

2) U-Boot locates the microcode binary according to the configuration macro CONFIG_SYS_QE_FW_ADDR.

It is possible change the CONFIG_SYS_QE_FW_ADDR to a DDR address and “bundle” the microcode to the U-Boot image, so the ROM code will load both to DDR memory.

Example configuration file for the boot_format is attached.

In case of further questions, it will be convenient to create a Technical Case:

https://community.freescale.com/thread/381898

thitipongsornja
Contributor I

Hi ufedor,There is boot SDCARD problem . I  use logic analyzer to capture SDCARD clock,  Why  SDCARD clock is not start ? after ob_boot is set in SDCARD mode(b1101) so it is not possible to boot software with SDCARD . please tell me about this problem  Thank in advance.

0 Kudos

satishkumary
Contributor II

Hi ufedor,

Thanks ufedor  for giving reply and shared lots of information. Now i got understand most of the things clear.

Now at one place i am facing difficulty to make the sd-card bootable.

U-Boot locates the microcode binary according to the configuration macro CONFIG_SYS_QE_FW_ADDR.

It is possible change the CONFIG_SYS_QE_FW_ADDR to a DDR address and “bundle” the microcode to the U-Boot image, so the ROM code will load both to DDR memory.

I know the CONFIG_SYS_QE_FW_ADDR address is fixed in u-boot. i.e

#define CONFIG_SYS_QE_FW_ADDR   0xFE7E0000  , as per your suggestion i'll change it to some ram address.

I cant get that how to "bundle" the microcode to the u-boot image. Is bundle means again i need to add some configurations in configuration file for boot_format?

According to my perspection, i thought how the u-boot is copied to ram at 0x01000000 and starts executing at 0x01000100

same like the qe-ucode will also be copied to some ram address which we will fix in the u-boot( CONFIG_SYS_QE_FW_ADDR).  while executing the u-boot.bin it will get the qe-ucode from that fixed ram address location.

with regards,

satish kumar.

0 Kudos