cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing drivers for Tech Arts USBDMLT -- seemed to have bricked it

onnimikki
Contributor I

Hi,

I'm trying to get a Technological Arts USBDMLT running on a Windows XP (running as a virtual machine on a Mac).  I seem to have bricked the USBDMLT in the process.  Any help in figuring out what I did wrong would be much appreciated.

Here's what I did:

* I found out that the USB VID was 15A2 and PID was 0021, requiring the use of the Installation of "USBDM USB drivers for old VID/PID" instructions on the SourceForge page (http://usbdm.sourceforge.net/USBDM_V4.6/USBDM_JS16/html/driver_page.html)

* I removed the older driver that I had tried installing yesterday through the Windows control panel and then used zadig.exe to install the WinUSB driver.

* That seemed to work fine. Zadig logged the following:
ini file 'zadig.ini' not found - default parameters will be used 
1 device found. 
libwdi:info [detect_version] Windows XP 
1 device found. 
program assertion failed - editable_desc != NULL 
Using inf name: USB_Device.inf 
Succesfully extracted driver files. 
Installing driver. Please wait... 
libwdi:info [extract_binaries] successfully extracted driver files to C:\usb_driver 
libwdi:info [wdi_prepare_driver] succesfully created C:\usb_driver\USB_Device.inf 
Driver Installation: SUCCESS 
1 device found.
* After a reboot of the computer I decided to update the flash as per the instructions on the Tech Arts webpage (http://www.technologicalarts.ca/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=572 --> Details tab).  This meant using the "JS16" firmware, so  I used the Win32/Bootloader.exe application and loaded up USBDM_Flash_Images/JS16/USBDM_JS16CWJ_V4.abs.s19
* Bootloader.exe reported "Firmware Update Failed" and now the USBDMLT flashes its LED once per second and Windows no longer recognizes a new device when I plug it in.
My virtual machine application, Parallels, reported that the USBDMLT was a "USBDM(JMxx) Version 3.2" when it connected to WinXP.  It nolonger detects the USBDMLT either.  Would flashing the USBDMLT with JS16 firmware instead of JM16 firmware be responsible for the bricking?
Thanks!
James
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear James,

The USBDMLT is a JS16 based BDM so it should be impossible to 'brick' entirely.

You can completely restore the firmware using the bootloader that is permanantly present in JS16s.  The  procedure is (briefly) given at the top of this page:

http://usbdm.sourceforge.net/USBDM_V4.6/USBDM_JS16/html/installation_page.html

You may need to install yet another set of drivers to handle the JS16 in freescale bootloader mode.

There were also some issues with using the BDM with a virtual machine.  I believe this is fixed if a later version of the libusb software is used.

See this page and search the forums for some discussion.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/usbdm/files/Version%204.6/Late%20Updates/

bye

0 Kudos

onnimikki
Contributor I

Hi pgo,

thanks for the quick reply.  You were right... after plugging the USBDMLT into my stand-alone Dell WinXP box this morning, there was no more flashing LED on the USBDMLT.  Weird.  I've removed the drivers from the Dell box and am running zadig.exe (downloaded from your pointer on driver_page.html) to get a fresh driver onboard.  

However, I've run into my next problem.  The USBDMLT is detected by zadig.exe as having VID/PID: 15A2/0021.  According to your instructions (http://usbdm.sourceforge.net/USBDM_V4.6/USBDM_JMxx/html/driver_page.html) I'm supposed to set the target driver to WinUSB.  When I do this Test_USBDM doesn't detect any devices.  However, when I set the target driver to libusb0 in zadig.exe then Test_USBDM will detect the USBDMLT.  I'm I correct in assuming that I should then be using libusb0?

As for the "late" files you pointed me to, should I manually move the driver files (libusb-1.0.dll and usbdm.4.dll) into Codewarrior for S12(X) V5.0\Prog\gdi?  Should I also move TBDML.dll from the older 4.6a release into the gid folder (it doesn't seem to be included in the LATE release)?

Thanks for your patience!

Best,

James

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear James,

The device is currently programmed as an early version of the USBDM and is using the old USBDM bootloader.  I suggest you entirely reflash the device and update to at least version 4.6 including the bootloader.

Follow the slightly clearer instructions given for version 4.7:

http://usbdm.sourceforge.net/USBDM_V4.7/USBDM_JS16/html/installation_page.html

The required driver with Ver4 USBDM is the libusbV1 (which is a front-end for Winusb) so, if using ver4 you should be installing the winusb driver NOT libusb0.

If you choose to use the Ver3 driver then libusb0 is correct.

Note that if you use the software that came with your BDM (V3?)  then it will not find the device.

The libusb-1.0.dll & usbdm.4.dll file can be placed in the gdi directory.

I would suggest you try the installer with V4.7 to do the above file installation.

bye

0 Kudos

onnimikki
Contributor I

Hi pgo,

Thanks for the reply and 4.7 update.  I've been plugging away at it on WinXP running on my Mac (rebooted into XP, not a virtual machine).  I soldered the BLMS line to GND on the Technological Arts USBDMLT and it appeared as a VID 15A2 PID 0038 device.  Flashing it with the Freescale Bootloader (the flash files in v4.7 are .sx, so I used v4.6 USBDM_JS16CWJ_V4.abs.s19) seemed to go fine and gave the predicted CRC check error.  I'm about to unplug the USBDMLT and unsolder the bridge and plug the USBDMLT back in, so I ran the USBDM_4_7_0c_Win.msi in your 4.7 update. 

The .msi installer didn't finish.  It went through steps like "copying files", etc.  When it got near the end of the install it said

"Registering Product", "Publishing Product Features", "Publishing Product Information", "Rolling Back Action"

and then said  "USBDM Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error.  Your system has not been modified.  To install this program at a later time, run the Setup Wizard again.  Click the Finish button to exit the Setup Wizard."

Thanks for your patience and help!

James

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear James,

Not really the .msi's fault.  There is a post-install step that runs a program.  This has some undetermined problems on some machines.

Unfortunately it runs fine on all the machines I've tested.

• Win XP
  • Windows 7 32-bit
  • Windows 7 64-bit

I believe its some protection problem bit it's a bit difficult to find the reason.

You can use the attached batch file to create a log of the install, zip it and post but I suspect I know what the uninformative error information will be.

It looks like I will have to separate out the post install step so it doesn't intefere with the main install.

bye

0 Kudos

onnimikki
Contributor I

Hi pgo,

thanks for the logger.  (I can't imagine how many variations of WinXP setups there are out there... hopefully the logger helps).  I've run the msi setup via the logger and attached the resulting file.  I had to make a minor change to the script so that it read the version as "VERSION=4_7_0c" instead of "b".

(The log file's extension was changed to .txt to permit posting to the forum)

Thanks again!

James

0 Kudos

onnimikki
Contributor I

Hi pgo,

Thanks for the updated installer. I created a clean WinXP installation yesterday with minimal extras (Codewarrior 5.1, a virus checker, the Freescale GUI Bootloader, etc.) and ran your updated installer.

The installer completed the installation and I've now got a C:\Program Files\pgo folder. However, there is no WizardPatches subdirectory, nor can I find a TBDML_HCS12x_Wizard_5_1.xml file. Likewise mc9s12xb256.xml.original is not there (but mc9s12xb256.xml is there).

Checking the log file, I found the following lines:

CAQuietExec: Applying patches: C:\Program Files\pgo\USBDM 4.7.0\WizardPatches\TBDML_HCS12x_Wizard_5_1.xml
CAQuietExec: <= C:\Program Files\Freescale\CWS12v5.1\bin\Plugins\Support\HC12Wizard\XML\mc9s12a128b.xml.original
CAQuietExec: => C:\Program Files\Freescale\CWS12v5.1\bin\Plugins\Support\HC12Wizard\XML\mc9s12a128b.xml
CAQuietExec: Error: Merge file doesn't exist
CAQuietExec: Error 0xffffffff: Command line returned an error.
CAQuietExec: Error 0xffffffff: CAQuietExec Failed

Which is probably the reason why I can't find TBDML_HCS12x_Wizard_5_1.xml or . However, the quote from the log file above mentions mc9s12a128b.xml.original (not ...xb256... files). I've attached the new log file if it helps.

Plugging in the USBDMLT the installation wizard pops up because it's recognized a "USB Device".  Should I try to get the device recognized by Windows at this point via the wizard?

Best regards,

James

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear James,

The step that is failing is patching the new project wizard for HCS12.  This is only of importance if you are trying to use some of the newer chips which are no longer supported for TBDML.  Otherwise the install should be OK.  I'll spend a bit more time on the installation as it looks like I've missed installing the Wizard component if you ONLY have the HCS12 software without any other Codewarrior suites.

You should be able to proceed as outlined here:

http://usbdm.sourceforge.net/USBDM_V4.7/USBDM_JS16/html/installation_page.html

• Program the chip using the Freescale bootloader
  • Re-program (a bit optional) using the USBDM bootloader.

The second step is really only necessary for future upgrades or if you wish to change the BDM serial number.

Hopefully all the other needed components have correctly installed.  In particular the USBDM directory should contain the flash images & the required drivers.  These should be accessible from the Start menu.  If you are unsure whether something is missing you can check against the directory list attached.

bye

0 Kudos

onnimikki
Contributor I

Hi pgo,

Thanks for spending the time to help debug the issue.  I still can't seem to get the driver to work.  I must be missing something really obvious since the driver is working fine on a colleague's computer, but we can't figure out what I've been doing differently.  

I'm going to switch over to a P&E debugger for the time being, but will try again with the USBDMLT another time.

thanks again!

James

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III

Ah, the black art of msi's.

You might do this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300

and post the log  file (as a file).

0 Kudos