Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lightweight Message Queues

Jump to solution
Joe2
Contributor II

Hi

I was wondering when it's better to use normal message queues and when lightweight message queues are more appropriate?

I've been impressed with the lightweight forms of other RTOS elements, most of which Freescale appear
to have added to the original MQX system (or that's how it looks from the release notes). 

However, I can't see much information regarding lightweight message queues other than a couple of pages in the reference guide.  The training labs show full strength message queues, but lightweight versions of pretty much everything else.  I'd be pleased to hear if anyone has used them and whether there are any issues.

Cheers
Joe

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Nouchi
Senior Contributor II

Hello,

Generally speaking, lightweight messages, semaphores or events, are more suitable for small embedded systems, because of their small footprint; low ram consumption and lower CPU overhead.

Emmanuel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Joe2
Contributor II

Anybody used lwmsgq? 

Are they worth using?

Cheers

J

0 Kudos
Nouchi
Senior Contributor II

Hello,

Generally speaking, lightweight messages, semaphores or events, are more suitable for small embedded systems, because of their small footprint; low ram consumption and lower CPU overhead.

Emmanuel

0 Kudos
Joe2
Contributor II

Thanks, Emmanuel. 

I'm now successfully using lightweight messages, semaphores and events on the current project.

Joe

0 Kudos