My FRDM-K66F will no longer talk to MCUXpresso 10.0.2 IDE. Did win10 corrupt bootloader?

取消
显示结果 
显示  仅  | 搜索替代 
您的意思是: 
已解决

My FRDM-K66F will no longer talk to MCUXpresso 10.0.2 IDE. Did win10 corrupt bootloader?

跳至解决方案
2,762 次查看
timgargrave
Contributor I

newbie problem. My FRDM-K66F was working before hurricane Irma stole 2 weeks of my time.   I downloaded several demo apps I compiled without issue but now the IDE says "no compatible probes available". I did not intentionally change the K20 bootloader firmware from the default openSDAv 2.1 that came loaded by the factory. I am working on a windows 10 laptop and have read that some windows 10 computers may corrupt the bootloader FW in the K20. This may well be operator error!!!

Symptoms:

When I plug in the board to the openSDAv USB port the power LED blinks at about a 1 hz rate forever.

Holding the reset button at power up has no effect.

Pushing the reset button after power up does not affect the board.

The FRDM-K66F debug USB port enumerates as an MBED BOOTLOADER USB Device (as seen in device manager).

No com port appears in device manager.

Background:

I downloaded and ran the following that appeared to work

frdmk66f_demo_apps_hello_world

frdmk66f_demo_apps_bubble

frdmk66f_demo_apps_freertos_hello (could not figure out where to type input text to get to freertos, typing in the IDE console was not echoed and did not appear to do anything.)

I believe the issue may have been coincident with either the freertos_hello app or the frdmk66f_demo_apps_lwip_lwip_udpecho_freertos I tried next.

Questions:

Does the fact the board enumerates as a MBED flash drive mean I have some other (hopefully operator error) issue and not a Win10 corruption issue?

How do I know if the bootloader is corrupt?

If it is K20 corruption do I need to buy a Seeger J-link to recover the bootloader?

I see some old threads discussing this issue. I would prefer to stay on windows 10. Does openSDAv 2.2 fix it? Is it recommended to use if my PC happens to be prone to this issue?

Should windows 10 users "replace the default CMSIS-DAP application with a Segger JLink" FW on the K20 to avoid this?

Also, is there anyway to get the debug console I/O into a putty or terraterm window instead of the IDE?

Is there anyway to talk to a human support engineer to get some help with these startup issues? Sorry, I didn't think so, frustration is setting in.

Thanks,

Tim

(352) 895-3717

0 项奖励
1 解答
2,063 次查看
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Tim,

1. Please first try the below :

- Please be sure terminate the other project before debug new project :

Window -> Show View -> Other -> Debug -> Debug

MCUXpresso bug "No debug targets available" 

- If still can't work, please delete the .metadata folder under the your MCUXpresso workspace, then reopen MCUXpresso IDE to have a try , use the sample project "frdmk66f_demo_apps_hello_world". If one project can work well, there is no problem with your board.

2. If can't work, you can replace the default CMSIS-DAP application with a Segger JLink or P&E OpenSDA ,

the firmware can find at OpenSDA Serial and Debug Adapter|NXP   (If you don't know how to update firmware, let me know .)

3. If still can't work, maybe the bootloader could be corrupted when the board is plugged into a Windows 10 machine.

(As you said there are some project can work well on your board, so in my personal opinion, the bootloader isn't corrupted.)

about the detail please refer to : Freedom OpenSDA Firmware Issues Reported on Windows 10 

You can also use other FRDM board program the bootloader, please see the common from Erich on the above thread:

pastedImage_2.png

4. "Also, is there anyway to get the debug console I/O into a putty or terraterm window instead of the IDE?"

- When you import the SDK demo, please select as below:

pastedImage_5.png

Hope it helps

Have a great day,
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

在原帖中查看解决方案

3 回复数
2,063 次查看
timgargrave
Contributor I

Thank you Alice.

I was able to recover my debugger connections without buying a seeger J-link probe following your directions. I recorded my steps for posterity and am including it below in case it helps someone else.

Was I  supposed to use "03_OpenSDA_FRDM-K66F.bin" FW?

I was able to get the terminal to appear in teraterm, so that worked as well! 

Prior to the problem appearing I was able to run programs when I first got the freedom K66F. After the issue surfaced I could not run any programs on the board because I could not  get the IDE to talk to the board. When I click the debug icon the build process happens (if needed) and then the probe discovery window pops up and says there no compatible probes available.

I started by opening a debug window in the IDE Window -> Show View -> Other -> Debug -> Debug) and could see a project currently being debugged. The run -> terminate button (and all other upper run -> buttons) was grayed out. I closed the IDE and unplugged the K66F. I reopened the IDE and the debug session was not present. I hit the debug (black bug icon) and got the connect  pop up (below) saying no probes avail. The same problem.

I closed the IDE. I deleted the .metadata directory and the hello_world project was no longer shown in the IDE so I could not use it. I deleted the project directory (using windows explorer) and re-imported it. I did not make any other changes. I built the project (successfully) and hit the debug icon (black bug next to red boot) and got the problem pop-up (below).

pastedImage_1.png

So, no positive changes so far. I followed the OpenSDA Serial and Debug Adapter|NXP link and saw..

Download – OpenSDA Bootloader and Application

To update your board with OpenSDA applications

Note:
It has been reported that OpenSDA v2/2.1 bootloader could be corrupted when the board is plugged into a Windows 10 machine. For details and more information on resolving this issue, please refer to this community post. Arm Mbed DAPLink bootloaders and applications have been developed on new evaluation boards to address this compatibility issue.

FRDM-K66F

1. Check which Bootloader and Application version are already preprogrammed on your board

OpenSDA version / bootloader

Default firmware application

2. Download the binary for the additional OpenSDA Application available for your board

Latest firmware application

I did not know how to reload the firmware so I guessed what to do next was to follow the numbered steps.  I downloaded the OpenSDA version / bootloader file (which I never used in this process) and then clicked on the default app which took me to the seeger site. I was not sure what to do next.  What FW should I use? I guessed I needed the K66F specific FW "03_OpenSDA_FRDM-K66F.bin" from the seeger site. 
pastedImage_3.png
I skipped the rest of item 2 and moved on to number 3 on the  OpenSDA Serial and Debug Adapter|NXP link.
  1. Reprogram your OpenSDA adapter with some new debug, serial, MSD flash-programming application

• Start your board in Bootloader mode keeping reset button pressed, while connecting the USB cable to the SDA USB port and release it after 1s.
    • If you have not installed already an ARM IDE toolchain, download and Install the corresponding drivers for the Application that you have selected:
      [Pemicro Multilink drivers] [Segger JLink drivers] [ARM CMSIS-DAP serial drivers]
    • Drag'n drop or copy and paste the OpenSDA Application binary file into the BOOTLOADER drive from your computer file explorer
    • Un-plug and re-plug the USB cable from the SDA USB port WITHOUT keeping reset button pressed.
    • Let your system detect the new OpenSDA interface (check the category COM_Port, USB_Controller and Jungo from your computer Device Manager to ensure that new devices have been properly detected and their driver correctly installed by your computer OS)
  2. Select the right debug adapter (Pemicro OpenSDA, Segger JLink or CMSIS-DAP) in your project parameters

On the second bullet (ARM IDE)  I hit the link for  ARM CMSIS-DAP and was unable to make any sense of that mess. I tried installing the serial driver but it failed. I did the drag and drop from bullet 3, and then un-plug/plug and all is good. My debbuger now connects to the IDE as expected.

Thank you!

0 项奖励
2,063 次查看
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Dear Timothy,

Thanks a lot for your sharing !

Have a nice day!

Alice

0 项奖励
2,064 次查看
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Tim,

1. Please first try the below :

- Please be sure terminate the other project before debug new project :

Window -> Show View -> Other -> Debug -> Debug

MCUXpresso bug "No debug targets available" 

- If still can't work, please delete the .metadata folder under the your MCUXpresso workspace, then reopen MCUXpresso IDE to have a try , use the sample project "frdmk66f_demo_apps_hello_world". If one project can work well, there is no problem with your board.

2. If can't work, you can replace the default CMSIS-DAP application with a Segger JLink or P&E OpenSDA ,

the firmware can find at OpenSDA Serial and Debug Adapter|NXP   (If you don't know how to update firmware, let me know .)

3. If still can't work, maybe the bootloader could be corrupted when the board is plugged into a Windows 10 machine.

(As you said there are some project can work well on your board, so in my personal opinion, the bootloader isn't corrupted.)

about the detail please refer to : Freedom OpenSDA Firmware Issues Reported on Windows 10 

You can also use other FRDM board program the bootloader, please see the common from Erich on the above thread:

pastedImage_2.png

4. "Also, is there anyway to get the debug console I/O into a putty or terraterm window instead of the IDE?"

- When you import the SDK demo, please select as below:

pastedImage_5.png

Hope it helps

Have a great day,
TIC

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!