Howto create new project using MCUXpresso Config Tool 4?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Howto create new project using MCUXpresso Config Tool 4?

adib1
Contributor II

The new config tool 4 replaced the project generator by an project cloner.

But how can I generate a new project and specify the driver to be included?

Regards, Adib.

--

12 Replies

adib1
Contributor II

Hello Jennie Zhang,

not so helpfull.

I do have my IDE. It is KEIL MDK. I already paid for it.

You (Freescale/NXP) released a new version of your tools. And that should cause my investment to become nonsense?

The new version does not create empty projects, based on configuration in the configwizzard like the previous version did.

You created a vendor lockin. I am totally against this strategy.

Even I would use plain makefile toolchain, the version 4 tools are useless.

Please let me phrase differently:

Dear NXP, please reinstantiate the "create empty project" function in your current product.

The function should create an empty project with the settings from configwizzard.

We all know this feature existed and other companies like STM have no problem with that.

I am sure NXP can do this as well.

Regards, Adib.

--

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

This is the decision from development.

"The functionality of Project generator has been replaced by making avilable CMSIS packs containing our SDK, so the users of Keil can create the project and add drivers to the project directly in the IDE.
If the user is OK with creating just example project, he can use the project cloning functionality allowing to clone an SDK example. In the latest version V4.1, it's accessible from File / New dialog by selecting "Clone SDK example and create a new configuration"

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

adib1
Contributor II

Hello Jennie Zhang,

Thanks for your efforts.

Seems I must swallow that pill for now.

In our company we choose not to use the packs feature in Keil.

The reason is that we then create an other dependency and the code is not in the version control system (aka inside the project folder).

I also found that switching in beetween the IDEs is not possibe once initially choosen.

- the use case is here that we cross check code using different compilers.

But going back to the initial request/question:

- even using the GCC backend it is not possible to create a baseline project from my pin-configuration

- so the argument from the management about using Keil-Packs here is not constructive and does not lead to a solution

I let you know how STM has implemented it:

- there is this CubeMX for Pin configuration what the Xpresso Config Tools are.

- CubeMX creates the templates out of the pin configuration and also do some module preconfiguration

- CubeMX can be used to create Keil or IAR or ... project templates (projectfiles, linker scripts, startup files differ)

- when I create a GCC project I still can switch to Keil or IAR with no conflicts

- there is no project cloner do

Basically same as Xpresso 3.

I expect as MUST HAVE FEATURE from Xpresso tool suite:

- create barebone project from preselected pins-configuration

- create projectfiles, linker-, startup-scripts for most common used IDEs KEIL, IAR, GCC, Xpresso

(and switch in between them later)

Please let the management know for reconsidering this topic.

Regards, Adib.

--

0 Kudos

marek-trmac
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Adib,

it is possible to downloaded SDK package in the form of CMSIS pack. CMSIS pack is supported natively in Keil uVision(and also in IAR Emb.Workbench). You can create empty project using CMSIS pack and add any additional SDK components from CMSIS pack.

Regards

Marek

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button, so others can find resolution easily.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,
Marek
0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Adib.

Thanks for your comments.

We will check it.

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Adib.

I understand.

I have escalated your comment as feature request to developer.

Thanks for your feedback.

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

0 Kudos

danny30
Contributor I

Why this is the case that I cannot create "empty project" for a given tool chain ? The Cubemx software allowed such creation and almost all similar tools. Why was this feature removed in the first place (version 3) ?

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

In MCUXpresso Config Tools v4.0,Project Generator is replaced by Project Cloner.

If you need create an empty project, I suggest you use MCUXpresso IDE.

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

There are user guides, please check and download it from this url

MCUXpresso Config Tools|NXP 

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

0 Kudos

adib1
Contributor II

Hello JennieZhang,

thanks for your reply.

Maybe I was not clear about that. But the Version 3 ConfigTool was able to create a project.

The version 4 ConfigTool only alows to modify the initialisation code.

In version 3 I could create also a Keil MDK, eclipse GCC, etc. project.

As I tested Xpresso IDE and ConfigTool I am stuck in a NXP vendor lock.

The Xpresso IDE only creates Xpresso projects. No more Keil MDK, no more makefile projects for Eclipse (or baremetal) arm-gcc programming.

The lets rephrase the question: How can I create a Keil MDK or arm-gcc-makefile project using version 4 ConfigTools?

Regards, Adib.

--

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Adib

In addition, please make sure you select GCC or Keil or All toolchains for your SDK download package.

Because, for example, on my side the default toolchin is MCUXpresso, SDK for MCUXpresso package doesn't support GCC or Keil.

pastedImage_1.png

Jennie.

0 Kudos

liborukropec
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Adib,

the MCUX Config Tools v4 can clone examples for Keil, GCC, etc. You need to

1) download SDK enabled for the toolchain you need and extract to a directory

2) launch MCUX Config tools, go to menu "Tools | Project cloner"

3) point "SDK Path" to the extracted SDK, select an example and a target path, click Clone project(s), done

Please note that creating <empty> project is not possible, only cloning an example. Anyway this should not block anyone to delete unwanted sources.

pastedImage_1.png

Regards,

Libor