Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to burn firmware.bin on my new LPC1769

Jump to solution
RaphV57
Contributor II

Hi,

I changed the LPC1769 FBD100 on my 3D printer main board because analog inputs were damaged.
The original was a Rev A and the new one is a Rev C

I have a file "Firmware.bin" that usually burn at starting through the SD card. But not with the new LPC1769...

What checks and actions do you recommend? I'm note very familiar with microcontrolers and I don't have the board shematic.

I also tried to load the firmware with a FTDI usb→serial adapter through UART port and the "Flash Magic" software. It also failed. As described in the datasheet I took care to ground P2.10 pin while pressing the reset button.

Thank you in advance

IMG_20240227_113251.jpg.a73dc1344f1a776a70d62fa80e4875c1

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
RaphV57
Contributor II

The flash is finally done! Thank you for your help

1) Install a bootloader on the chip is necessary before flashing firmware.bin:
Smoothieware bootloader  Download the .hex file
How to flash : You need the FlashMagic software and a PC connected to the board with a FTDI interface. 

Press and hold Reset button on the board
Ground input P2.10 on the LPC chip (hold)
Release reset button
Release GND from P2.10
Flash .hex from the software. When transfert is done:
Connect P2.10 to 3.3V for 1s. Wait 10s. Press reset

→ Boot loader is flashed

2) Flash firmware.bin from the SDcard
SDcard maxi 2 Go formated in FAT32 4096 byte

My 3D printer is back to life!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RaphV57
Contributor II

The flash is finally done! Thank you for your help

1) Install a bootloader on the chip is necessary before flashing firmware.bin:
Smoothieware bootloader  Download the .hex file
How to flash : You need the FlashMagic software and a PC connected to the board with a FTDI interface. 

Press and hold Reset button on the board
Ground input P2.10 on the LPC chip (hold)
Release reset button
Release GND from P2.10
Flash .hex from the software. When transfert is done:
Connect P2.10 to 3.3V for 1s. Wait 10s. Press reset

→ Boot loader is flashed

2) Flash firmware.bin from the SDcard
SDcard maxi 2 Go formated in FAT32 4096 byte

My 3D printer is back to life!

0 Kudos
frank_m
Senior Contributor III

> I have a file "Firmware.bin" that usually burn at starting through the SD card. But not with the new LPC1769...

That sounds very much like the firmware update is to be executed by a proprietary second-stage bootloader.

Which makes me assume your firmware will not run without that BL, even if you manage to flash it onto the MCU. Both are usually integral part of one application, with the BL occupying the reset vector location, doing certain pre-initialisations, and starting the main application at a different adress - usually a different Flash sector.

0 Kudos
RaphV57
Contributor II

Hi, Thank you for your help. I'm still not able to flash the LPC1769!

- Uart0   →  Checked

P2.10 start low, and in the end, high  →  In normal state this pin is high on my board. I grounded the pin when I pressed the reset button and hoped the ISP mode is ON. Is there a way to control?

-  USB can be detected by PC with a virtual port  →  On the FTDI there is some LED that are blinking during transfert so I think the communication PC ↔ FTDI is ok
But what about the baudrate I need to set?

0 Kudos
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Q1)P2.10 start low, and in the end, high → In normal state this pin is high on my board. I grounded the pin when I pressed the reset button and hoped the ISP mode is ON. Is there a way to control?

>>>>It is okay to ground the pin P2.10 pin when you press the reset button

- USB can be detected by PC with a virtual port → On the FTDI there is some LED that are blinking during transfert so I think the communication PC ↔ FTDI is ok
But what about the baudrate I need to set?

>>>The baud rate of uart is 115200. Anyway, pls check if you connect the uart0 pin to the FTDI.

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

First of all, as you know that you have to use uart0 to download code in ISP mode, the P0.2 is TXD0 pin of uart0, the P0.3 is RXD pin of uart0, pls check if the P0.2/P0.3 pins are connected to the FTDI.

Secondly, pls have uart0 to output character and check if the PC serial tools can receive it or not.

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

If you want to download application code to on-chip flash of LPC1769, it is okay to use Flashmagic tools to download *.bin in ISP mode.

1)after Reset, the P2.10 pin must be low so that the LPC can enter ISP mode, after you have downloaded the application code, then you have to configure the P2.10 high so that the application code can be executed.

2)you have to use uart0 pin, in detail, P0.2 is TXD0 pin of uart0, the P0.3 is RXD pin  of uart0, the two pins must be connected to the FTDI usb2uart converter.

xiangjun_rong_0-1710468265273.png

Pls check if you have connected to uart0 to the FTDI and if the USB can be detected by PC with a virtual port.

Hope it can help you

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos