cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Developing on Mac OS X with KL25z, debug and flashing

lucasmahieu
Contributor III

Hey,

I come on the community to find help about the way to use KL25z with my macbook pro.

I am working on a projet for which I need to use a KL25z.

I don't use any IDE, and I don't want to use any one.

I have built my one Makefile compiling with arm-none-eabi-gcc.

This work very well, I can drag and drop the .srec on the FRDM-KL25z from a Linux or Windows computer.

But on my mac, I don't succeed to drag and drop the .srec. In fact, the .srec can be drag and drop, but nothing happened after that (the red led which has to blink, don't do it).

I would like to have advise and information about which bootloader I have to use in my case.

P&Micro ? CMSIS-DAP ? I also heard about SEGGER J-Link, what is the difference between all these different technology ?  

An other question is about the the debug. I have heard about OpenOCD, is it possible to use it in my case ?

If not, do you have some advice for me ?

Best regards,

Lucas

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi mahieu lucas,

If you want to use the FRDM-KL25 board on MAC OS,  please refer to the P&E micro opensda FAQ:

Issue: Bootloader versions 1.10 and earlier are not allowing firmware update and MSD FLASH programming on ...

Solution: Support for Windows 8/8.1, MacOS and Linux operating systems was added to Bootloader version 1.11 and MSD firmware version 1.14. Please make sure that your board is programmed with Bootloader version 1.11 or higher prior to attempting to update your OpenSDA board with a new firmware application.

Important: If you are currently running Bootloader version 1.10 or earlier, you will need to find a Windows XP or Windows 7 PC to perform this update.

Please follow these steps to find out what version of Bootloader your board is programmed with:
  1. Start your board in Bootloader mode by holding down the RESET button prior to plugging it into USB port.
  2. Open the SDA_INFO.HTM file, which will contain version numbers of Bootloader as well name and version of current OpenSDA firmware you are using. If your board is not running Bootloader version 1.11 or higher, please download the latest OpenSDA Firmware Apps from P&E website and follow instructions in corresponding documentation to update the Bootloader using the BOOTUPDATEAPP_Pemicro_v111.SDA application. Once the Bootloader is updated via BOOTUPDATEAPP, the OpenSDA board can then be upgraded to the latest combined MSD/DEBUG OpenSDA firmware 1.14 or greater.

Update the bootloader at first, then try again in the MacOS, I suggest you to use the PE opensda, because the PE website mention it support this OS.

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Kerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

lucasmahieu
Contributor III

Hey kerry, 

first I would like to thanks you for your quick reply.

I will try this tomorrow, but i think it is the technique I am using. And with this version of bootloader.

What about the debug with your solution ? 

Is it possible to debug with arm-none-eabi-gdb ? or other  ?

thanks a lot in advance 

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi mahieu lucas,

Unfortunatelly, we don't have the MacOS PC on our side, so we can't check it.

Please check it on your side, if you want to do debugging, the KDS IDE associated with the JLINK firmware will support it.

Mac OS X (10.10 and 10.11) with SEGGER J-Link support, JLINK firmware can be download from this link:

https://www.segger.com/downloads/jlink/OpenSDA_V1.bin

Please do the bootloader update at first, then use the JLINK firmware and associate with the KDS.

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Kerry

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

lucasmahieu
Contributor III

Hey kerry,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I don't know if you have noticed it, but I don't want to use any IDE. 

I am working with my own Makefile that compile all my project. 

And this was my initial question:

Can I debug without any IDE on a mac ? 

Best Regards ,

lucas 

0 Kudos