cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADC readings in KL27 take minutes to stabilize

Jump to solution
robertpoor
Senior Contributor I

My project needs to take ADC readings - not quickly, but at low power.  

Summary: I'm observing ADC readings starting far lower than expected, then over a period of five minutes, climbing very slowly before stabilizing.  I suspect I'm not configuring the ADC system properly.

My setup: I'm driving the ADC with a voltage divider with an output voltage of about 0.77V and effective impedance of about 3K.  With the ADC configured with VREFL of 1.2V, I would expect the converted count to be 0.77/1.2 of full scale, or 65536 * (0.77/1.2) = 42052.  

What I observe: When I first start up the system, I see readings of about 27000, and over a period of five minutes, the readings climb to about 37000 -- somewhat lower than expected.  So there are two problems: the system takes a LONG time to stabilize, and I'm not sure the readings are accurate.

My code:

Here is the setup code.  Note that adc_t is a structure that carries with it an ADC_type, a channel group and a channel configuration.

void _adcSetup(adc_t *adc) {

adc16_config_t adc16_config;

ADC16_GetDefaultConfig(&adc16_config);

adc16_config.resolution = kADC16_ResolutionSE16Bit;

adc16_config.enableLowPower = true;

adc16_config.longSampleMode = kADC16_LongSampleCycle16;

ADC16_Init(adc->_base, &adc16_config);

ADC16_EnableHardwareTrigger(adc->_base, false); /* Use software trigger */

assert(kStatus_Success == ADC16_DoAutoCalibration(adc->_base));

adc->_channel_config.enableInterruptOnConversionCompleted = false;

adc->_channel_config.enableDifferentialConversion = false;

}

Here's the code that takes a readings:

uint32_t adcRead(adc_t *adc) {

ADC16_SetChannelConfig(adc->_base,

adc->_channel_group,

&adc->_channel_config);

while (0U == (kADC16_ChannelConversionDoneFlag &

ADC16_GetChannelStatusFlags(adc->_base, adc->_channel_group))) {

}

uint32_t v = ADC16_GetChannelConversionValue(adc->_base, adc->_channel_group);

return v;

}

Additional information: I am running my system in VLPR mode with a system clock of 2Mhz.  I measure the time spent inside adcRead() to be about 275 uSec.  And (for what it's worth), I call adcRead() every 50 mSec or so.

Am I configuring the ADC properly?  Or perhaps the problem is in the way I'm reading it?  Or are my clocks improperly configured?  I appreciate any suggestions in advance!

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
robertpoor
Senior Contributor I

I found the source of the problem: the inputs were not properly connected.  In fact, we were driving the analog voltages into the wrong pins on the FRDM board, and the actual ADC inputs were floating, which explains why they drifted slowly.

Marking this as solved.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
robertpoor
Senior Contributor I

I found the source of the problem: the inputs were not properly connected.  In fact, we were driving the analog voltages into the wrong pins on the FRDM board, and the actual ADC inputs were floating, which explains why they drifted slowly.

Marking this as solved.

0 Kudos
Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi

Could you provide more info (chip surface print info) about the KL27 chip?  Thanks.

Have a great day,
Ma Hui
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
robertpoor
Senior Contributor I

Additional (and possibly related) questions:

It appears that there's a "Rev 5.0" chip and a "Rev 5.1" chip.  For example, on the 64 LQFP package, pin 8 of the Rev 5.0 chip appears to be "PTE16, A0-ADC0_SE1".  The same pin 8 on the Rev 5.1 chip appears to be "VREGIN".  If that's the case, perhaps the problem I'm seeing is that I'm not calling PORT_SetPinMux() properly for the chip and FRDM board I have.  So:

* How do I know which chip I have?

* Where do I find Rev 5.0 documentation on the chip?  And Rev 5.0 schematics for the FRDM board?

* Where do I find Rev 5.1 documentation on the chip?  And Rev 5.1 schematics for the FRDM board?

Thank you !

0 Kudos
robertpoor
Senior Contributor I

Hi:

The full inscription on the chip is:

MKL27Z64

VLH4 1N87M

CTZN14468

Thank you in advance for your help.

0 Kudos