Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting a toolchain imx8mmevk Yocto 4.19.35

Jump to solution
sreedhar_appala
Contributor IV

Hi,

I have downloaded the Yocto distribution, i have built the distribution

DISTRO=fsl-imx-xwayland MACHINE=imx8mmevk source fsl-setup-release.sh -b build-xwayland

bitbake imx-image-multimedia

Build Configuration:
BB_VERSION = "1.42.0"
BUILD_SYS = "x86_64-linux"
NATIVELSBSTRING = "ubuntu-16.04"
TARGET_SYS = "aarch64-poky-linux"
MACHINE = "imx8mmevk"
DISTRO = "fsl-imx-xwayland"
DISTRO_VERSION = "4.19-warrior"
TUNE_FEATURES = "aarch64"
TARGET_FPU = ""

For building in standalone environment, i tried exporting the toolchain using the steps mentioned in the i.MX_Linux_User's_Guide.pdf  sec 4.5.12 How to build U-Boot and Kernel in standalone environment

Generate an SDK:

DISTRO=fsl-imx-xwayland MACHINE=imx8mmevk bitbake core-image-minimal -c populate_sdk

Since I build the distribution using the command : bitbake imx-image-multimedia

do i need to execute the command for Generating the SDK as below:

DISTRO=fsl-imx-xwayland MACHINE=imx8mmevk bitbake imx-image-multimedia -c populate_sdk

or

Irrespective of the build type, we should execute the below command for generating the SDK

DISTRO=fsl-imx-xwayland MACHINE=imx8mmevk bitbake core-image-minimal -c populate_sdk

Please clarify.

thank you, sreedhar

0 Kudos
1 Solution
gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Sreedhar, 

Correct, the result from that command would give you an binary on the SDK folder under the deploy directory, and yoy would need to execute it to install the toolchain. With it you will be able to compile your application outside Yocto to later integrate it once it's been tested.

Regards,

Gustavo

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Sreedhar,

The populate_sdk option extracts the toolchain for the configuration of the distro, machine and image selected. For building the bootloader and kernel, the core-image-minimal alternative should be enough. But it won’t include libraries related to graphics.

If you would be working with qt5, for example, you would need to use the imx-image-full image.

I hope this information helps!

Regards,

0 Kudos
sreedhar_appala
Contributor IV

Hi Gusarambula,

Thank you for clarifying me, for standalone building of bootloader and kernel core-image-minimal is fine.

We want to build our standalone audio pass-through application, for this we need to extract the toolchain.

So i will try to export the toolchain using below:

DISTRO=fsl-imx-xwayland MACHINE=imx8mmevk bitbake imx-image-multimedia -c populate_sdk

is my understanding correct?

We want to try building the application standalone, till we succeed in building the application into rootfs by adding .bb files to yocto project.

thank you, sreedhar

0 Kudos
gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Sreedhar, 

Correct, the result from that command would give you an binary on the SDK folder under the deploy directory, and yoy would need to execute it to install the toolchain. With it you will be able to compile your application outside Yocto to later integrate it once it's been tested.

Regards,

Gustavo

0 Kudos
sreedhar_appala
Contributor IV

Thank you Gustavo

0 Kudos