cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling VPU unit for imx6 processors

mihaitaivascu
Contributor III

Hello,

I know there a lot of discussions related to VPU for imx6 on the forum but it seems none answers my question entirely as I don't have past experience with video processing.

I have a task to estimate the effort of enabling VPU support for imx6 processors. I saw the VPU application guide from Freescale

and identified the API for VPU there.

In the kernel tree it seems that VPU and IPU are used interchangeabily. Is VPU the same as IPU and GPU ?

Also , I saw on the forum that a specific SDK needs to be used in order to develop code for VPU.

But first of all I would like to know if enabling IPU support in kernel means the same thing as enabling VPU ?

Thank you,

Mihaita

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mihaita

IPU and VPU are different and independent modules and

can not be used interchangeabily, enabling IPU support in kernel does not

mean the same thing as enabling VPU. More details can be found in

presentations on links below

IPU

A Deep Dive into Image Processing for i.MX 6 Series Applications Processors

VPU:

Q&A: MX6 VPU H.264 Dual Stream Encode Limits

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

mihaitaivascu
Contributor III

Hello,

Thanks for the information. But I would still like to know how to enable support for VPU in kernel as this the task I received.

Thank you,

Mihaita

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

please refer to attached Linux Manual sect.13.1.3 Menu Configuration Options

~igor

0 Kudos

mihaitaivascu
Contributor III

Thanks again for the info. i don't seem to find the CONFIG_MXC_VPU option in my kernel config or in my kernel tree. I don't have any mxc directory in my kernel tree. Do I need to install some package in order to have access to the video sources ?

Thank you,

Mihaita

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

what BSP are you using ?

One can find Linux Manual in BSP package, then

check VPU chapter.

~igor

0 Kudos