Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMXRT1064 Debug with P&E Micro MultiLink - Error with Flash Programming

Jump to solution
Lukas_Frank
Senior Contributor I

Hi,

I am getting below error during debug with P&E Micro Probe. Could you please inform me about the possible errors and tricks for debug with P&E Micro Debug probe with MCUXpresso? I tried to erase the flash, before debug but nothing is changed.

1.png

I am not getting error when I debug with USB:

2.png

Thanks, and regards.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Pavel_Hernandez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Q1/ Unfortunately no, the J34 is only for updating the firmware in the debugger on the board, if you want to debug your code in the RT1064 with the LPCLink2 you need to use like image. The red section in the image is the debugger built into the board.

Pavel_Hernandez_4-1675464371025.png

Q2/ I can confirm that information in the Reference Manual IMXRT1064RM Rev. 2, 07/2021. The LPC Link2 is still compatible with the RT1064, which is an older debugger the new versions are the MCU link and MCU link Pro, even in the page says the next. LPC-Link2 | NXP Semiconductors Not Recommended for Designs, but if you still have one you can update the firmware in the debug probe of your board.

Q3/ Well I think you could use the Schematic and the next links, maybe that could help you. 
Getting Started with the MIMXRT1064-EVK Evaluation Board | NXP Semiconductors
First Steps with the NXP i.MX RT1064-EVK Board | MCU on Eclipse

Best regards,
Pavel

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Pavel_Hernandez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, sorry I do not understand, in the first image looks like not found the main(), and the second only show the probes available but is not doing anything like debugging.

I understand the following you have the RT1064, but you don't what to use the debugger on the board and have a P&E Micro Multilink.

Could you share a picture of your setup? How are you made the connections on the board?

Best regards,
Pavel

0 Kudos
Lukas_Frank
Senior Contributor I

Hi Dear @Pavel_Hernandez ,

Sure I can share following information about my setup:

• I set a connection between J34 (in the EVK) and Port G (in the PEMicro Probe).
  • My SW7 Configuration is OFF-OFF-ON-OFF.
  • I powered up my EVK with Micro USB with J41.
  • I set 3-4 pin of J1 with jumper on EVK.

Could you please check above configuration about whether it is valid or not for debugging RT1064 with PEMicro probe? I will share my setup image also.

nxp-pemicro.png

I just need for debugging RT1064-EVK with PEMicro MultiLink FX Probe.

By the way, I realized that debugging with J34 requires using LPC-Link2 probe. There is a phrase in RM as "LPC-Link2 compatible" but I am a bit confused about it means "FreeLink Interface only compatible with LPC-Link2 Probe". Am I able to use J34 with PEMicro probe?

Lukas_Frank_0-1675252904082.jpeg

Thanks and Regards.

0 Kudos
Pavel_Hernandez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, thanks for being clear with the information, I saw the problem, the J34 is for updating the firmware of the debugger [OpenSDA] on the board in this case the LPC4322. For the RT1064 you need to use the J21, but you need an adapter. I attached an image, I'm using an MCU Link debug probe but is the same way for the Multilink.

Best regards,
Pavel

Lukas_Frank
Senior Contributor I

Hi Dear @Pavel_Hernandez,

Did I understand correctly,  Will I am not be able to debug with J34 even I use LPC-Link2 probe? I am a bit confused because the Reference Manual says below and I thought that I will be able to debug my card with J34 if I use FreeLink Interface's JTAG connector. Does this FreeLink JTAG Connector(J34) supports debugging?

First Clue:

FreeLink_Interface_High_Speed_JTAG_2.png

Second Clue:

FreeLink_Interface_High_Speed_JTAG.png

Is the only way of debugging my card "using J21" with debug probe like PEMicro, MCU Link or Segger Probes?

Thanks and Regards.

0 Kudos
Pavel_Hernandez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Is the only way of debugging my card "using J21" with debug probe like PEMicro, MCU Link or Segger Probes?

No, the other way to debug is using the microUSB J41, but if you want to use the external debugger Multilink the only way to debug is the J21.

Best regards,
Pavel

Lukas_Frank
Senior Contributor I

I have three more question:

Q1: I asked my question for not only EVK. For example, we plan to design a specific card by using RT1064 in our university research lab. Is the J34 not valid for debugging with LPC-Link2 ?

Q2: Why reference manual says J34 is compatible with LPC-Link2 probe?

Q3: Where can I learn functionality and proper usage information of each connector or pin in MIMXRT1064-EVK? I am asking this because I thought that J34 compatible with LPC-Link2 probe when I look RM and SPF-32221_A2.pdf schema file. If I had a descriptive document I couldn’t make design on it. Could you please inform me about if such kind of document exist which is descriptive for each connectors usage purpose ?

Thanks and Regards.

0 Kudos
Pavel_Hernandez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Q1/ Unfortunately no, the J34 is only for updating the firmware in the debugger on the board, if you want to debug your code in the RT1064 with the LPCLink2 you need to use like image. The red section in the image is the debugger built into the board.

Pavel_Hernandez_4-1675464371025.png

Q2/ I can confirm that information in the Reference Manual IMXRT1064RM Rev. 2, 07/2021. The LPC Link2 is still compatible with the RT1064, which is an older debugger the new versions are the MCU link and MCU link Pro, even in the page says the next. LPC-Link2 | NXP Semiconductors Not Recommended for Designs, but if you still have one you can update the firmware in the debug probe of your board.

Q3/ Well I think you could use the Schematic and the next links, maybe that could help you. 
Getting Started with the MIMXRT1064-EVK Evaluation Board | NXP Semiconductors
First Steps with the NXP i.MX RT1064-EVK Board | MCU on Eclipse

Best regards,
Pavel

Lukas_Frank
Senior Contributor I

I have two last question.

You said I can use "Schematic". Which file do you mean? There is no defined information in SPF-32221_A2.pdf.

For example, I learned important information "J1's 3-4 pins must be jumped in EVK to achieve debugging with PEMicro Multilink FX Probe". From below link's comment#2.

Link : https://www.pemicro.com/forums/forum.cfm?forum_topic_id=8396#c28269

My Question 1 : But I want to learn these information from the documents of NXP. Which document describes and covers this kind of information

My Question 2 : Can we say that "specifically designed card must use J21 debug connector"? I am asking this because I don't know which of 20 pins are redundant in J21? All these pins are required for successful debug? I need to access this information in any documents.

Thanks and Regards.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Pavel_Hernandez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

I recommend using this adapter for the SWD to JTAG.

Pavel_Hernandez_0-1676085399758.png

I attached the document of the board maybe could help you 2.12. JTAG connector.

Best regards,
Pavel

Lukas_Frank
Senior Contributor I

Thank you for you all helps.

Could you please help me about another topic? I open new issue below:

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-RT/MIMXRT1064-Debugging-Specifically-Designed-Card/td-p/1597975

Thanks and Regards.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos