cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom board imxrt1020 startup issues

Jump to solution
oyvigre
Contributor II

Our custom board with imxrt1020 and external QSPI (IS25LP064A) flash, we have had some "novice issues". We see that some of the boards are running our programs without any issue straight after production, but for some of the boards we need to perform some actions.

We are mainly using cortex-debug and JLink, but also testing with MCUXpresso SDK examples.

Some of the symptoms we see on some (50%) of the boards are

• Cannot debug MCUXpresso example from flash (only RAM)
  • Need to do an extra “reset” in cortex-debug after starting debugging, for the program to start
  • When flashing program and tuning off power, the program is “lost” (doesn’t boot after power is turned back on)

Most boards see none of the above issues. What we do to fix this is to generate an image in Boot Utility tool and download it to the board. Running a flash component SDK example in RAM, also seems to fix it.

So, it seems to be related to setting up the flash correctly.

I am wondering, why does this happen only to some of the imxrt1020 controllers? Do you know what part of the boot image (FCB, IVT, Boot data etc.) is responsible for fixing the issue? Or does Boot Utility perform some other action in the background that can be relevant?

Is it mandatory to create and download a image in order for this controllers to work correctly with an external QSPI flash?

Labels (1)
1 Solution
oyvigre
Contributor II

Hello, Pavel, I tested this method last week and it did not solve the issue. I think it could be related to this issue, at least it works better after running the SDK flash example.

Solved: Production programming of MIMXRT1052 using Segger JLINK Programmer - NXP Community

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
oyvigre
Contributor II

Hello, Pavel, I tested this method last week and it did not solve the issue. I think it could be related to this issue, at least it works better after running the SDK flash example.

Solved: Production programming of MIMXRT1052 using Segger JLINK Programmer - NXP Community

0 Kudos
Pavel_Hernandez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, I reviewed your case, and this issue looks like the MCU is in an unknown state, and when you flash it with the boot utility this works because you put your device on ISP mode. 

Pavel_Hernandez_0-1717605038832.png

In another way, you could use this thread to do a mass erase, and this happens on the majority MCU.

RT board recovery for debugger connect issues - NXP Community

Best regards,
Pavel

0 Kudos
Pavel_Hernandez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, my name is Pavel, and I will be supporting our case, let me get into your case, when I have more information, I will contact you.

Best regards,
Pavel

0 Kudos