Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help Configuring iMXRT1052 MCU for booting from Winbond Flash W25N01GV

Jump to solution
MassimilianoPegaso
Contributor II

Hello,

I'm currently working on a custom board that utilizes a Winbond W25N01GV SPI NAND as its boot memory, connected to FLEXSPI. My aim is to configure this memory with MCUXpresso v11.9 for debugging purposes.

Upon delving into the iMXRT1050 reference manual, specifically in Chapter 9.6.3.3, I stumbled upon a code snippet tailored for this type of memory configuration. However, I'm facing some challenges understanding how to integrate it into my project effectively.

To shed some light on my situation, I'm particularly interested in configuring MCUXpresso to debug the board with this memory setup. While I've come across information regarding bootROM, I'm struggling to grasp how to leverage it in conjunction with MCUXpresso.

I would greatly appreciate any insights, guidance, or resources that could assist me in configuring MCUXpresso v11.9 to work with the Winbond W25N01GV SPI NAND and FLEXSPI on my custom board. Any pointers on how to integrate the code snippet from the reference manual into my project would also be immensely helpful.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance. Looking forward to your valuable inputs.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
nxf77486
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

So we currently do not have an example for booting from NAND memory apart from the code snippet mentioned on your initial post of the reference manual.

I found this community post that mention a possible solution by using the MCUBootUtility to use this. We apologize for this inconvenient.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
nxf77486
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Thank you for contacting NXP support.

Please find the following application note that explain how to program a bootable image to an external storage (W25N01GV) In order to program image to flash and boot from flash and debug.

I believe this will help you.

0 Kudos
MassimilianoPegaso
Contributor II

Hi  @nxf77486,

Thank you for your prompt response and for providing the application note detailing the process for programming a bootable image to an external storage and debugging it.

While I appreciate the provided document, upon review, I noticed that it primarily covers the programming and booting process for NOR flash configurations, not specifically for NAND flash configurations like the W25N01GV. As such, the guidelines might not directly apply to my current setup.

Here are the specific points I need assistance with:

• Understanding how to configure NAND flash instead of NOR flash. Referring to the reference manual, it seems that the flexspi_nor_config_t and flexspi_nand_config_t structures are different;
  • I need clarification about the flash driver to be set in the MCU settings on the properties page. I do not have the right driver for NAND. Have you that driver? If not can you give me a support to create it?.

Additionally, with NAND the system requires configuration to operate in a non-XIP mode. Could you please provide support or resources regarding how to configure the software to function effectively in this mode?

Thank you once again for your help and support.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
nxf77486
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

So we currently do not have an example for booting from NAND memory apart from the code snippet mentioned on your initial post of the reference manual.

I found this community post that mention a possible solution by using the MCUBootUtility to use this. We apologize for this inconvenient.

0 Kudos