FlexSPI with a RWW FLASH

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FlexSPI with a RWW FLASH

LarsHenrik
Contributor I

We are considering a new design using MIMXRT1021. We are looking for a suitable FLASH memory. It should be connected thru Q-SPI and should support RWW (ReadWhileWrite). The purpose is to be able to erase/write a sector of the FLASH while executing form the same.
If I understand the datasheet correctly, MIMXRT1021 does support this if the FLASH does.
Have anyone tried this and can recommend a FLASH for this purpose?
Please share your experiences.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

LarsHenrik
Contributor I

Hi and thanks for the answer. It has been a while and the scope has changed a bit. The plan is now to use 2 identical 32MB flash chips located to the FlexSPI controller A (as A1 and A2). Additionally We would like to have a 1MB PSRAM connected to FlexSPI B(1).

The intention is to run A1 as XIP. A2 will be used as data flash, i.e. it will not contain code. What would be the best approach to set this up?

I assume I can only set up the configuration of the A1 device in the configuration at flash start address (setup by boot rom) and that second flash (A2) and PSRAM (B1) needs to be configured during execution, right?

What would be the best way to set-up A2 and B1? Should I use the FLEXSPI SDK driver for this and how would that look like?
I also found a fsl_flash_nor driver in the SDK. Should I use that for A2?

It seems like a pretty trivial thing, but I don't really know where to start?

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards, Lars-Henrik

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @LarsHenrik ,

About the flash RWW, please check the NXP application note:

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN12564.pdf

code:

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note-software/AN12564SW.zip

Please check it at first.

If you still have questions about it, please kindly let me know.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos