Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX6ULL firmware download using mfgtool hangs

Jump to solution
arunkumar_maniv
Contributor III

Hi,

I have built the mfgtool for Linux Kernel version 5.4.70 (iMX6ULL). But while flashing it hangs, following is the log,

---------------------

Starting UTP
uuc 0.5 [built Jul 8 2021 16:42:59]
UTP: Waiting for device to appear

---------------------

I have tried including USB_MASS_STORAGE, but it is not helping, and i could not locate CONFIG_FSL_UTP in menuconfig as mentioned in the link,

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors/MFGTool-boot-stuck-at-UTP-Waiting-for-device-to-appear/...

Kindly let me know what is possibly missing?

With Regards,

Arunkumar

0 Kudos
1 Solution
arunkumar_maniv
Contributor III

Hi Igor,

I have resolved the issue with the below approach,

Mfgtool uses U-Boot and Kernel to run in RAM first then the custom board fetches the files from the PC/laptop via Mfgtool. For this, the U-Boot and Kernel have retained the v4.1.15 and when transferring the files to flash in the custom board provided the new Kernel (v5.4.70) files. In this way, am able to flash the new kernel (v5.4.70) to the NOR-flash.

So i think we can close this thread, as the issue is resolved using the Mfgtool itself instead of UUU tool. Because when tried with UUU tool, there are multiple issues like FastBoot support in U-boot (for this need to change the U-boot version from v2017.x to v2018.x) and even though i changed the U-boot, not sure the Fastboot protocol supports SPI-NOR flash, and does support NAND flash. Unfortunately i need support for SPI-NOR flash.

Thanks for the inputs. Please close this thread.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
arunkumar_maniv
Contributor III

To start using the UUU tool. Tried flashing the bootloader (u-boot) using the command "uuu -b qspi u-boot.imx". It is downloading to the device and booting. But resides in the RAM only. 

Tried using the command “uuu SDP: write -f u-boot-regular-v2017.03-r0.imx -offset 0x00000000" to write into flash.

It results in error - Error: HID(W):LIBUSB_ERROR_IO. When I looked for help in community did not get much info.

Looking for help on how to write the U-boot into the SPI-NOR flash.

Also, as per the UUU document, to update kernel and filesystem, FastBoot protocol is used. Does this protocol supported for SPI-NOR flash? If not, what is the alternate way?

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

what board used in the case: EVK or custom ? If custom, had board passed ddr test

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/i-MX-6-7-DDR-Stress-Test-Tool/ta-p/11082...

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos
arunkumar_maniv
Contributor III

Yes, it is a custom board and is passed DDR test. In the same board older kernel 4.1.15, U-boot (v2017.03) were working fine.

Now planned to migrate to latest kernel 5.4.70, but facing issues to flash the u-boot, filesystem and kernel using Mfgtool. But then it was not supported in this kernel, so migrating to UUU tool, and facing challenges like could not flash the u-boot to NOR flash, etc.,

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

was uboot updated with new ddr calibration settings, as described in sect.3.2.1 Changing the DCD table for i.MX DDR initialization   i.MX Porting Guide

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos
arunkumar_maniv
Contributor III

I did not get you why DDR initialization is suspected. Kindly let me know.

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

for new custom board it is necessary to run ddr test and then update uboot with new ddr

calibration settings found from ddr test, as described in sect.3.2.1 Changing the DCD table for i.MX DDR initialization   i.MX Porting Guide

This is standrad procedure for new custom board.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos
arunkumar_maniv
Contributor III

Sorry, still i did not get, why you are naming as new Custom board. Already in the same board, U-boot (v2017.03-r0), Kernel (v4.1.15) and Mfgtool are working fine. Just trying to migrate the kernel to v5.4.70. But not able to flash to the board since Mfgtool is incompatible with this kernel. So, started using UUU tool as suggested. As described earlier there are problems like not able to write to flash, etc.,

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

>why you are naming as new Custom board.

because it is not i.MX6ULL EVK. If you did not change uboot sources, it uses EVK settings.

One can try to reproduce issue on i.MX6ULL EVK board.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos
arunkumar_maniv
Contributor III

Hi Igor,

Testing in iMX6UL EVK may not help because the EVK do not have the QSPI-NOR Flash that is used in the custom board.

With Regards,

Arunkumar 

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Arunkumar 

>Testing in iMX6UL EVK may not help because the EVK do not have the

>QSPI-NOR Flash that is used in the custom board.

based on provided log below issue is not caused by QSPI:

the log,
---------------------
Starting UTP
uuc 0.5 [built Jul 8 2021 16:42:59]
UTP: Waiting for device to appear
---------------------

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos
arunkumar_maniv
Contributor III

Hi Igor,

I agree, but the reason for that issue is Linux Kernel v5.4.70 do not have support for UTP.

So even if i try to test with iMX6UL or 6ULL EVK with kernel v5.4.70, still the issue would be observed. Please correct me if am wrong.

With Regards,

Arunkumar

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Arunkumar 

one can try below suggestions:

- when board is running to 'UTP: Waiting for device to appear',  unplug the USB cable and plug it again
- check USB driver, for example boot up the board with SD card, then try to verify USB driver in the Linux kernel.

Are you using mfg tool for programming. For kernel v5.4.70 uuu tool is used for programming images.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos
arunkumar_maniv
Contributor III

Hi Igor,

I have resolved the issue with the below approach,

Mfgtool uses U-Boot and Kernel to run in RAM first then the custom board fetches the files from the PC/laptop via Mfgtool. For this, the U-Boot and Kernel have retained the v4.1.15 and when transferring the files to flash in the custom board provided the new Kernel (v5.4.70) files. In this way, am able to flash the new kernel (v5.4.70) to the NOR-flash.

So i think we can close this thread, as the issue is resolved using the Mfgtool itself instead of UUU tool. Because when tried with UUU tool, there are multiple issues like FastBoot support in U-boot (for this need to change the U-boot version from v2017.x to v2018.x) and even though i changed the U-boot, not sure the Fastboot protocol supports SPI-NOR flash, and does support NAND flash. Unfortunately i need support for SPI-NOR flash.

Thanks for the inputs. Please close this thread.

0 Kudos
asurti9
Contributor III

Hello @arunkumar_maniv ;

I am facing similar issue, where the mfgtool only supports 4.1 kernel and using UUU, I am not able to flash my custom iMX6ULL device.

I am able to flash kernel 4.1 version using mfgtool. In the solution you provided, you mentioned that you retained kernel and U-Boot to older version and then you fetched latest kernel on the custom device.

Can you please let me know what exact steps we can follow inorder to achieve this?

Your support will be of great help.

Thanks,

Ali

0 Kudos
asurti9
Contributor III

Now I am able to do this, there are files and firmware folder under mfgtools
firmware is used to load the firmware on DDR and then the bins from files are flashed to NAND/NOR flash
We can just keep updating bins under files directory and keep the bins under firmware constant.

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Arunkumar

mfg tool is not supported in latest linux releases, like version 5.4.70. Supported is uuu tool

https://github.com/NXPmicro/mfgtools

https://community.nxp.com/t5/Technology-Days-Training/i-MX-8-Universal-Update-Utility-UUU-Tools-and-...

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos
arunkumar_maniv
Contributor III

Thanks for providing the details!

Is there any migration guide available that helps in migrating from Mfgtool to UUU tool?

It would be helpfull because the kernel v4.1.15 supports Mfgtool and need to migrate to UUU tool to support 5.4.70.

With Regards,

Arunkumar R M

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Arunkumar

>Is there any migration guide available that helps in migrating from Mfgtool to UUU tool?

one can look at   UUU.pdf  documentation p.10 "Migration from mfgtool ucl2.xml".

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos