Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX8M Nano - SAI sync with another SAI

Jump to solution
pdgleonec
Contributor I

Hello,

I'm using the i.MX8M Nano to implement an audio system. I'm trying to confirm (or refute) that the SAI can synchronize with another SAI, in order to ensure if this would require hardware modifications or not.

On the one hand, this features seems documented, with the reserve that:

Synchronous operation between multiple SAI peripherals is not supported on all devices.

On the other hand, some elements seem to show that it is not supported:

1. A previous thread (here: https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors/iMX8-SAI3-and-SAI5-synchronous/td-p/1239416) indicates that the feature is not supported on i.MX8M Mini, which is close to the i.MX8M Nano.

2. The `fsl_sai` driver seems to not implement this feature (fsl_sai.h, l.116):

#define FSL_SAI_CR2_SYNC	BIT(30)

This shows that the 31th bit, used to synchronize with another SAI, is not implemented.

Is our interpretation correct that synchronization between multiple SAI is not supported on the i.MX8M Nano ?

Thanks for your support.

Regards

Tags (2)
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Philip 

>Is our interpretation correct that synchronization between multiple SAI is not supported on the i.MX8M Nano ?

yes it is correct, except sai2&sai3 modules which have such synchronization as described below

and in sect.3.2. Two-Lane I2S interface   AN12667 i.MX 8M Mini to i.MX 8M Nano Design Compatibility Guide

1.jpg

Best regards
igor

View solution in original post

2 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Philip 

>Is our interpretation correct that synchronization between multiple SAI is not supported on the i.MX8M Nano ?

yes it is correct, except sai2&sai3 modules which have such synchronization as described below

and in sect.3.2. Two-Lane I2S interface   AN12667 i.MX 8M Mini to i.MX 8M Nano Design Compatibility Guide

1.jpg

Best regards
igor

pdgleonec
Contributor I

Thanks for your answer, I hadn't seen that part.

0 Kudos