cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6 DDR3 Drive Strength and ODT Settings When Using ZQ Calibration

RobertC
Contributor I

Hello,

From what I read, "ZQ calibration is a process that tunes the DRAM and MMDC I/O Pad output drivers (drive strength) and ODT values across changes in process, voltage, and temperature."

If periodic ZQ calibration is used, do I still need the set the drive strength in the IOMUX pad setting registers?  Do I still need to set the ODT values in MMDC_MPODTCTRL register?

Thanks,
RC

0 Kudos
3 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ron

>f periodic ZQ calibration is used, do I still need the set the drive strength in the IOMUX pad setting >registers? Do I still need to set the ODT values in MMDC_MPODTCTRL register?

no. After ddr test successfully passed and performed sect.3.2.1 Changing the DCD table for i.MX DDR initialization  i.MX Porting Guide​, no need for additional changes.

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/i-MX-6-7-DDR-Stress-Test-Tool/ta-p/11082...

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

RobertC
Contributor I

Hi igor,

We did a simulation for the layout.  For clock, address and commands, the results of the simulation suggest 48 ohm drive strength.  For data, the simulation suggests 40 ohm drive strength with ODT40.

These values are different than the values used in the Programming Aid.  Considering the periodic ZQ calibration is enabled, the drive strength and ODT should be adjusted automatically on the fly.  Should I change the DSE values and the ODT values according to the simulation?  Does it matter?

Signal

Simulation Suggestion

Programming Aid

Register

Clock

DSE = 101 (48 ohm)

DSE = 110 (40 ohm)

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD

Address

DSE = 101 (48 ohm)

DSE = 110 (40 ohm)

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD

Command

DSE = 101 (48 ohm)

DSE = 110 (40 ohm)

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD

Data

DSE = 110 (40 ohm)

DSE = 110 (40 ohm)

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD

Data

ODT = 011 (40 ohm)

ODT = 001 (120 ohm)

MPODTCTRL

Thanks,
RC

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

>These values are different than the values used in the Programming Aid.

> Should I change the DSE values and the ODT values according to the simulation? Does it matter?

right, Programming Aid values are provided for NXP reference board as typical values.

So for custom board they can be changed (if needed) based on simulation results and

results from ddr test.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos