booting linux 3.0.35 root filesystem built with yocto

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

booting linux 3.0.35 root filesystem built with yocto

steveanderson
Contributor II

I am using Yocto 1.6.2 attempting to build a system with u-boot 2009.08 and Linux 3.0.35 for a client.

My problem is that the system hangs when I try to use the root filesystem created by yocto...

To get there I have started by using the only yocto recipes I could find in 1.6.2 sources for those images:

* u-boot-imx has a 2009.08 build, and this is running fine for me on my target platform.

* linux-boundary has a 3.0.35 build, and this is running fine for me on my target platform...

In this case my yocto machine is based largely on the Boundary Devices iMX6qSabreLite board.

This gives me access to u-boot-imx and linux-boundary recipes.

The whole thing stammers to a halt, however, upon attempting to run the /sbin/init application in the root filesytem...

However, experimenting, I found that the whole thing works fine with the u-boot and Kernel built above, but using the LTIB root filesystem.

This leads me to believe I have some library incompatibility causing the root yocto filesystem to fail.

If anyone has managed to get yocto to build Linux 3.0.35 with a root filesystem which runs, I would very much appreciate knowing the recipes and configurations you used to achieve this.  I am not liking the need to go back to LTIB, and am certain I am missing something relatively simple...

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

steveanderson
Contributor II

Just a note to the moderators, I recognize that Victor was trying to be helpful, but the question is by no means whatsoever resolved.  You may delete this comment and adjust the status of this discussion back to unanswered.

Just because I was polite and thanked him for trying to be helpful does not mean the question was answered, nor that the answer was even really helpful, else I would have certainly credited it thus.

0 Kudos

b36401
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please double check that your Yocto installation is right.

Here are the recommended Linux setup - "i.MX Linux BSP Environment Setup" : https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-95042

And after such setup, the Yocto recommendations in "Freescale_Yocto_Project_User's_Guide.pdf" should be applied.

Have a great day,

Victor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

steveanderson
Contributor II

Thank you for your suggestion.  Before posting my question to the community, I did indeed review my setup for the system I am using, and performed several sanity checks I will detail below...

As for the document you mention "Freescale_Yocto_Project_User's_Guide.pdf" - I do not find a document by that name.  The most relevant document I did find is:  https://community.freescale.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/95096-102-10-7847/yocto_tutorial.pdf, but that seemed to mostly focus on making Kernel changes by adding a layer, and I am reasonably clear on that side of the equation.  I found nothing toward building previous Kernel or Root File System images there, so if there is a document you attempted to point me to which does have relevant information, please provide a link or a Freescale document number, thanks.

I had hoped that a simple and direct question might yield a simple and direct answer, so I had omitted a few obvious sanity checks I have made to be sure that Yocto is basically working correctly, let me share them for clarity:

I have built the default image for the SabreLite, which uses u-boot 2014.07 and Linux-boundary 3.10.17, and its default filesystem, I have tested this on my demo Boundary Devices iMX6q SabreLite platform, and it works.

I have also built the default image for the Freescale iMX6q SabreSD and have tested that image on my demo SabreSD platform, and it works also.

I have tested the (core-image-base) root filesystem generated when I built Linux-boundary 3.0.35 with the SabreLite board using the 3.10.17 Kernel, and this works fine, which is what leads me to consider an incompatibility with the 3.0.35 Kernel and this Yocto generated file system image.

Now, to re-iterate, the 3.0.35 Kernel boots to a prompt and works fine with the root file system generated by the old LTIB toolchain, which demonstrates with a reasonable degree of confidence that this 3.0.35 Kernel is, indeed functional.

The fact that the Yocto generated root filesytem works with 3.10.17 and not with 3.0.35 leads me to believe that the generation of the root file system under Yocto is incompatible with the 3.0.35 Kernel.

And, so, I return to my original, simple, and direct question.  If anyone has successfully built a 3.0.35 Kernel with a root file system generated by Yocto which executes under the 3.0.35 Kernel, I would deeply appreciate your sharing the configuration/recipe elements you have in your recipes and layers to generate that root file system.

I do believe that I am likely missing a simple step, which is causing Yocto to generate an incompatible image - seeing a recipe/configuration which works will likely reveal my missed ingredient, as it were...

0 Kudos