cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Uart to serial download image to eMMC

ko-hey
Senior Contributor II

Hi all

I want to know about serial downloader mode.

Please let me know the following questions.

I plan to build a custom board with i.MX6UL and eMMC which is for boot device.

Unfortunately, the custome board have only UART for serial download.

According to the following thread, i.MX6UL support USB_OTG and UART1/2 in serial downloader mode.

https://community.nxp.com/message/612116

So I want to test serial downloader with UART in MCIMX6UL-EVK.

Can user test UART serial downloader mode in MCIMX6UL-EVK ?

I found a source code for UART serial downloader mode and tested it.

But it faild booting.

https://github.com/boundarydevices/imx_usb_loader

Does someone test the source code ?

If yes, please let me know the check point to solve it.

If i.MX6UL can't support UART serial downloader mode, we plan to use JTAG for write to eMMC.

Do you have any other recommendation except using JTAG ?

If i.MX6UL can't support UART serial downloader mode, we have to think other way for writing image to eMMC.

This will be problem for verification at the time of mass production and development.

Please hellp me.

Ko-hey

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

ko-hey
Senior Contributor II

Could anybody teach me ?

Ko-hey

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Ko-hey,

About the questions in this thread, I give follows reply, hope it can help you

1/The MCIMX6UL-EVK support serial download mode, both UART and USB-OTG can work. But, the mfgtool provide by our company only support USB-OTG port download. No tools provide for UART download, if you want to use the UART to download you need to write the code and tool yourself refer to the  https://github.com/boundarydevices/imx_usb_loader you found.

2/No UART tool can use directly, about the tool you find is the third company provide, so we can not give support for it. So sorry.

3/ About the JTAG you need to find the third company for help. In our board and design, we use the USB-OTG and mfgtool work for it.

Sorry no more information about it.
Have a great day,
Dan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Mark Correct  button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

ko-hey
Senior Contributor II

Hi Dan

Thank you for confirming to expert team.

Can I ask about your answer NO.1 ?

How did you test the UART serial download ?

I think your expert team have tested UART serial download in some way.

To put it the other way, your expert team have some reference code, don't they ?

Could you provide it ?

Ko-hey

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Ko-hey,

About the test on the UART serial download by now no method for it. So sorry.

Here you can ask your customer to try to use the JATG to load the u-boot first, then boot up the u-boot and write the emmc.

Hope this can help you.

Have a great day,

Dan

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Mark Correct  button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

ko-hey
Senior Contributor II

Hi Dan

Thank you for support.

I'll try again.

Ko-hey

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Ko-hey,

You're welcome. It's my pleasure:smileyhappy:

Have a nice day

Dan

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Ko-hey,

In our MCIMX6UL-EVK board we use the usb-otg port to download images. About UART serial downloader mode I have never tested it and do not find document about it. Here I will confirm it with our expert team to confirm and then give you reply.
Have a great day,
Dan

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Mark Correct button. Thank you!

0 Kudos