Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLL4 (audio PLL) on CLKO2

Jump to solution
johannesdev
Contributor III

Hi!

For an external chip I would need a 27MHz clock signal which I'd like to create using PLL4 within the I.MX6UL. Currently I'm in an evaluation stage so I'm using the devmem command within busybox to write and read registers.

So far I started successfully PLL4 with the appropriate registers. At least PLL4's lock-bit can be read as locked, as the MSB of the 32 bits is high:

# devmem 0x20C8070 32
0x8000201F

Next step would be to output the clock on pin A2, CCM_CLKO2. However, I cannot achieve this using the CCM_CCOSR register. I try the following here:

• CLKO_SEL = 1111 to get the PLL4 output clk
  • CLKO1_EN = 1 for enabling the output pin
    and
  • CLK_OUT_SEL = 1 for outputting CLKO1 on CLKO2

Since I used the CLK_OUT_SEL bit, CLKO2 should now show any transition (at least any vital sign of the PLL). However, I does not :-(. This stays the same when I try any other CLKO1 clock inputs. Thus, what is the right setting of CCM_CCOSR? Should be CLKO2_EN = 0 and CLKO2_SEL[..] = XXX as another post shows ?

One more thought: When I output mmdc_clk on CLKO2 (via CCM_CLKO2 and /8 using the corresponding divider), I see a 50MHz signal on the pin. Hence the IOMUX setting is correct.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
johannesdev
Contributor III

Hi igor,

thank you for your reply. I totally forgot that CLKO1 can be output on JTAG_TMS as well. Here I can easily output the 27MHz clock (whereas the PLL4 output is approx. 860MHz). Although the CLK_OUT_SEL bit stays a mystery to me.

Best regards,
johannes

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
johannesdev
Contributor III

Hi igor,

thank you for your reply. I totally forgot that CLKO1 can be output on JTAG_TMS as well. Here I can easily output the 27MHz clock (whereas the PLL4 output is approx. 860MHz). Although the CLK_OUT_SEL bit stays a mystery to me.

Best regards,
johannes

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi johannesdev

>..CLKO2 should now show any transition (at least any vital sign of the PLL)

one can try to test it on i.MX6UL EVK board (mux JTAG_TDO pad) with Demo Images

from  https://www.nxp.com/design/software/embedded-software/i-mx-software/embedded-linux-for-i-mx-applicat...

Use default PLL4 settings, for setting of CCM_CCOSR use memtool

https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/imx-test/tree/test/memtool?h=imx_5.4.24_2.1.0

Note PLL4 can not be programmed directly to 27MHz as allowable range is 650 MHz ~1.3 GHz

according to sect.4.4 PLL’s electrical characteristics

i.MX 6UltraLite Applications Processors for Consumer Products Data Sheet

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos