Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ielftool generated binary file size

Jump to solution
itsme12_01
Contributor II

Hello,

I used the iefltool to generate the .bin file from .out file. The .out file is only around 400kB in size but the .bin file seems to be over 1000kB in size. Why is the .bin file size very high ? How would I be able to reduce the size ?

Regards.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
itsme12_01
Contributor II

Hello, I apologize for the late reply. 
I found the reason for a huge binary file size.
When placing a section into memory, if the segment is divided between two memory regions, then while creating a .bin file, the memory region in between the 2 regions will also be considered. Hence results in huge file size.
For example,
If I place const SECTIONA at 0x2000 to 0x4000
place const SECTIONB at 0x8000 to 0xF000
Then when creating the binary file,
For segment const, the memory region considered would be (0xF000 - 0x2000). The gaps between would be filled with 0s. Hence results in a huge file size.

Hope this becomes helpful to someone in furture.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
2 Replies
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
To provide the fastest possible support, I was wondering if you can introduce the steps for replicating the phenomenon.
Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
itsme12_01
Contributor II

Hello, I apologize for the late reply. 
I found the reason for a huge binary file size.
When placing a section into memory, if the segment is divided between two memory regions, then while creating a .bin file, the memory region in between the 2 regions will also be considered. Hence results in huge file size.
For example,
If I place const SECTIONA at 0x2000 to 0x4000
place const SECTIONB at 0x8000 to 0xF000
Then when creating the binary file,
For segment const, the memory region considered would be (0xF000 - 0x2000). The gaps between would be filled with 0s. Hence results in a huge file size.

Hope this becomes helpful to someone in furture.

Thank you.

Tags (1)