cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Configure UART in IMX7D

chandiniindavar
Contributor IV

Hi All

I am just trying Print Hello_world with IMX7D through UART other than UART DEBUG Ports..

Trying to configure UART5.

connecting TX, RX<GND in J33 but not getting anything in terminal ..

If UART5 is default enable or do i need to configure..?

In code just i changed below line [board.h]

/* Debug UART information for this board */

#define BOARD_DEBUG_UART_RDC_PDAP             rdcPdapUart5

#define BOARD_DEBUG_UART_CCM_ROOT             ccmRootUart5

#define BOARD_DEBUG_UART_CCM_CCGR             ccmCcgrGateUart5

#define BOARD_DEBUG_UART_BASEADDR             UART5

#define BOARD_DEBUG_UART_IRQ_NUM              UART5_IRQn

#define BOARD_DEBUG_UART_HANDLER              UART5_Handler

FREERTOS original example ,schematic and data sheet attached  ..

Please any one please me

Thanks in advance

Chandini

Original Attachment has been moved to: uart_imx.zip

Original Attachment has been moved to: board.h.zip

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

chandiniindavar
Contributor IV

Yes it works perfectly fine , it was hardware issue in my case .As soon as i replace the board . it was started working

Please let me know , still if your facing same issue

BR

Chandini

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi chandini

programming interface of the UART driver is given in platform/drivers/inc/uart_imx.h.

To initialize the UART module, define an uart_init_config_t type variable and pass it to the UART_Init()

function. Here is the Members of the structure definition:

1. clockRate: Current UART module clock frequency. This variable can be obtained by calling get_-

uart_clock_freq() function;

2. baudRate: Desired UART baud rate. If the desired baud rate exceed UART module’s limitation, the

most nearest legal value is chosen;

3. wordLength: Data bits in one frame;

4. stopBitNum: Number of stop bits in one frame;

5. parity: Parity error check mode of this module;

6. direction: Data transfer direction of this module. this field is used to select the transfer direction.

Choose the direction you used only can save system’ s power.

User should also call UART_SetTxFifoWatermark() and UART_SetRxFifoWatermark() to set the watermark

of TX/RX FIFO. After that, user can call UART_Enable() to enable UART module and transfer data

through UART port.

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

chandiniindavar
Contributor IV

Igor,

I already Followed all the steps by seeing how UART2 is enabled  and edited 4 files TO USE UART5 instead of UART2[debug] But i cant see any things in terminal.

To cross check my procedure i configure to UART1[debug] instead of UART2[debug] .i can messages coming out from terminal from UART1 ..

IN case of UART5 its not working igor

Files are attached .

Chandini

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

suggest to attach jtag debugger and check registers.

~igor

0 Kudos

chandiniindavar
Contributor IV

Igor

How to open ttymxc4 ?

i can see ttymxc4 and ttymxc5 after boot kernel .

If there any way to open that port ?

Thanks

Chandini

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Chandini

i.MX7 is not officially released yet and not supported in usual way as other processors.

Suggest to contact local fae and ask special support channel, used for preproduction

chips.

~igor

0 Kudos

chandiniindavar
Contributor IV

Thanks for your replay .. i am trying for special support .

0 Kudos

edcoyne
Contributor I

Just curious if you ever figured out your problem as I am encountering a similar issue, need to move the debug uart to uart6 and seeing no output.

0 Kudos

chandiniindavar
Contributor IV

Igor ,

I am not using Jtag debugger, I am just using ARM GCC to build [FREERTOS] and copy .bin to SDCARD and  load from that using below commands.

fatload mmc 0:1 0x7F8000  uart_imx_interrupt_example5.bin

dcache flush

bootaux 0x7F8000 .

Is there any other way to cross check ?

Even i have added below code to pin_mux.c

void configure_uart_pins(UART_Type* base)

{

switch((uint32_t)base)

{

case UART2_BASE:

// UART2 iomux configuration

IOMUXC_SW_MUX_CTL_PAD_UART2_RX_DATA = IOMUXC_SW_MUX_CTL_PAD_UART2_RX_DATA_MUX_MODE(0);

IOMUXC_SW_MUX_CTL_PAD_UART2_TX_DATA = IOMUXC_SW_MUX_CTL_PAD_UART2_TX_DATA_MUX_MODE(0);

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_UART2_RX_DATA = IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_UART2_RX_DATA_PE_MASK  |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_UART2_RX_DATA_PS(3)    |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_UART2_RX_DATA_HYS_MASK |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_UART2_RX_DATA_DSE(0);

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_UART2_TX_DATA = IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_UART2_TX_DATA_PE_MASK  |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_UART2_TX_DATA_PS(3)    |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_UART2_RX_DATA_HYS_MASK |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_UART2_TX_DATA_DSE(0);

IOMUXC_UART2_RX_DATA_SELECT_INPUT = IOMUXC_UART2_RX_DATA_SELECT_INPUT_DAISY(2);

break;

case UART5_BASE:

IOMUXC_SW_MUX_CTL_PAD_UART5_RX_DATA = IOMUXC_SW_MUX_CTL_PAD_UART5_RX_DATA_MUX_MODE(0);

IOMUXC_SW_MUX_CTL_PAD_UART5_TX_DATA = IOMUXC_SW_MUX_CTL_PAD_UART5_TX_DATA_MUX_MODE(0);

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_UART5_RX_DATA = IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_UART5_RX_DATA_PE_MASK  |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_UART5_RX_DATA_PS(3)    |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_UART5_RX_DATA_HYS_MASK |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_UART5_RX_DATA_DSE(0);

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_UART5_TX_DATA = IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_UART5_TX_DATA_PE_MASK  |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_UART5_TX_DATA_PS(3)    |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_UART5_RX_DATA_HYS_MASK |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_UART5_TX_DATA_DSE(0);

IOMUXC_UART5_RX_DATA_SELECT_INPUT = IOMUXC_UART5_RX_DATA_SELECT_INPUT_DAISY(5);

IOMUXC_UART5_RTS_B_SELECT_INPUT = IOMUXC_UART5_RTS_B_SELECT_INPUT_DAISY(5);

break;

default:

break;

}

}

Thanks

Chandini

0 Kudos

chandiniindavar
Contributor IV

Also tried to replace with below line as well .          [in pin_muc.c ]

void configure_uart_pins(UART_Type* base)

{

case UART5_BASE:

IOMUXC_SW_MUX_CTL_PAD_UART5_RX_DATA = IOMUXC_SW_MUX_CTL_PAD_SAI1_RX_DATA_MUX_MODE(0);

IOMUXC_SW_MUX_CTL_PAD_UART5_TX_DATA = IOMUXC_SW_MUX_CTL_PAD_SAI1_TX_DATA_MUX_MODE(0);

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_UART5_RX_DATA = IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_SAI1_RX_DATA_PE_MASK  |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_SAI1_RX_DATA_PS(3)    |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_SAI1_RX_DATA_HYS_MASK |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_SAI1_RX_DATA_DSE(0);

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_UART5_TX_DATA = IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_SAI1_TX_DATA_PE_MASK  |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_SAI1_TX_DATA_PS(3)    |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_SAI1_RX_DATA_HYS_MASK |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_SAI1_TX_DATA_DSE(0); 

IOMUXC_UART5_RX_DATA_SELECT_INPUT = IOMUXC_UART5_RX_DATA_SELECT_INPUT_DAISY(5);

IOMUXC_UART5_RTS_B_SELECT_INPUT = IOMUXC_UART5_RTS_B_SELECT_INPUT_DAISY(5);

}

0 Kudos