Help me get started on i.MX 6 Development

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me get started on i.MX 6 Development

aditya_rm
Contributor I

I apologise if this question is very generic, but I need help.

My background is that I used to be an embedded systems developer, with a fair bit of work on ARM (Cortex M) controllers. For my latest work, though, I've been asked to develop application using the i.MX 6 applications processor, with a SABRE Smart kit as an evaluation kit.

All my life so far I've used Windows-based IDEs (Keil, IAR, DS-5, Atollic and even Visual Studio) and whenever possible I've used pre-written libraries for embedded processors. I'm only sort of aware that this isn't the best way to go about programming an applications processor, but going through the software tools options on the NXP website makes me just all the more confused. There are a lot of Linux-oriented solutions with Tar/Gz packages but Linux is not an option for me. So I don't know where to begin, but I want to get to a stage where I can, say, show an image on the LCD screen and read a press of the volume keys.

I don't expect anyone else to write code for me but I want to know where to start. I have the board, I have a JTAG, I even have an IDE setup (Atollic TrueStudio) with a bare project that has a while (1) loop in main (that supposedly runs on the device from RAM - I can hit breakpoints in it), but I want to know what I need to learn in order to communicate with the peripherals on the board.

Thanks in advance for your help, and I'll answer any queries you have for me too.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I hope the following helps.

Integrating Processor Expert for i.MX and ARM GCC with Eclipse

Please pay attention on example in the attachments.

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

aditya_rm
Contributor I

Hi Yuri,

Thanks for your reply, I'm going through it right now. I do have one question - the link to the Processor Expert plug-in doesn't seem to work. Where can I get the plug-in from?

Aditya

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

the Processor Expert (PE) plug-in in itself may be ommited.
You may  use the recent PE release separately if needed.

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos