cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extend i.MX 8M Mini/Plus Operating Ranges

Jump to solution
marcelziswiler
Senior Contributor I

In our testing, we noticed that the i.MX 8M Mini and Plus do still produce quite some excess heat if being stressed and reaching higher temperatures (e.g. above around 50 deg C ambient they will just end up overheating). Looking at their datasheets (excerpt from the Mini attached) we noticed that in both cases the lowest Operating Point for them A53 cores is 1.2 GHz at 0.85 volts.

How about running it at lower frequencies?

Could the voltage be further reduced?

If so, to what degree resp. how related to the frequency?

Is there any expected side effect on endurance, reliability or stability to be expected?

Could we basically just modify the opp_table or what else would we need to look out for?

https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/linux-imx/tree/arch/arm64/boot/dts/freescale/imx8mm.dtsi?...

0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi marcelziswiler

>How about running it at lower frequencies?

yes it is allowed.

>Could the voltage be further reduced?

not sorry, as it was not tested on factory.

>Is there any expected side effect on endurance, reliability or stability to be expected?

no side effects.

>Could we basically just modify the opp_table or what else would we need to look out for?

yes

Best regards
igor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi marcelziswiler

>How about running it at lower frequencies?

yes it is allowed.

>Could the voltage be further reduced?

not sorry, as it was not tested on factory.

>Is there any expected side effect on endurance, reliability or stability to be expected?

no side effects.

>Could we basically just modify the opp_table or what else would we need to look out for?

yes

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos
marcelziswiler
Senior Contributor I

Would have been really nice if NXP did its due diligence and integrated more actual useful operation points. Thanks!

0 Kudos