Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android multimedia extended package on Lollipop

Jump to solution
gurtajs4
Contributor II

Hi,

This is a follow up question on Android Lollipop MediaCodec not decoding raw H264 stream 1080P at 60 FPS

I am trying to understand the Multimedia Decoding differences between Android JB 4.2.2_1.0.0-ga & Android Lollipop 5.0.0_1.0.0-ga.

It looks like omxgm player fsl-propriety code has been removed from the Release Source code.

There are similar changes on the framework libstagefright code which removes the omx library used in JB version.

android-imx6-kitkat/0025-ENGR00133115-remove-omx-lib-from-prebuilt.patch at master · rabeeh/android-...

Before getting to try for Multimedia Extended package, I have few questions.

1. If we use android_L5.0.0_1.0.0-ga_omxplayer_source.tar.gz with  our build images. Will this make any difference in the way MediaCodec API's are used to decode h264 stream(1080p)

2. Since in JB version, this was enable by default and we have source code for external/fsl-imx-omx  and video decoding works fine in JB Verison. Is this the reason that we are not able to achieve  h264 stream(1080p @ 60 fps) decoding.

3. We need to finalize our BSP version making sure all our requirements are met. If we cannot achieve this in Lollipop, then we need to go with JeallyBean

LiuXuegang  XianzhongLi

Can you guys help me on understanding this.

Regards,

Gurtaj

0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Gurtaj

1. for decoding such high resolutions as 1080p, vpu support (hardware decode)

is needed. Otherwise android implements sw decoding, which is slower.

2. yes

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
gurtajs4
Contributor II

Hi

Can someone reply on this thread.

Regards,

Gurtaj

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Gurtaj

1. for decoding such high resolutions as 1080p, vpu support (hardware decode)

is needed. Otherwise android implements sw decoding, which is slower.

2. yes

Best regards

igor

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
gurtajs4
Contributor II

Hi Igor,

Thanks for your reply.

I wanted to know, how can we achieve 1080p60 HD decoding on Imx6-SabreSd using MediaCoded API's.

1 . Do you suggest that having Android multimedia extended package in our Lollipop build can help us achieving that?

2.  What was the reason that Android multimedia extended package was removed after JeallyBean Release ?

3.  You said that Android implement software decoding, can you point me to some source code to verify this.

Regards,

Gurtaj

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Gurtaj

yes Lollipop multimedia extended package can achieve 1080p HD decoding.

Best regards

igor

0 Kudos
gurtajs4
Contributor II

Hi Igor,

How can we procure Lollipop multimedia extended package

Regards,

Gurtaj

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Gurtaj

please refer to sect.6 Freescale Extended Feature Packages

attached Release Notes

Best regards

igor

0 Kudos
gurtajs4
Contributor II

Igor,

Thanks I have sent a mail to 'android@freescale.com'.

How much is the cost for receiving android_L5.0.0_1.0.0-ga_omxplayer_source.tar.gz ?

Regards,

Gurtaj

0 Kudos
gurtajs4
Contributor II

Hi,

Do we need to sign NDA with freescale to achieve this ?

Regards,

Gurtaj

0 Kudos