S32K144 dev board wont boot when J5 pins high

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32K144 dev board wont boot when J5 pins high

QES
Contributor I

I have noticed if some connections are held high then the dev board will not boot.

J5, pin18 Port D6.

J5 Pin 1 Port A15

J5 Pin 2 Port A16.

Why is this? Is this mentioned somewhere in the data sheet?

When the board does not boot, I see D2 near the SDA chip flashing. If I remove my external circuit then device boots, I add back connections and circuit and micro operate as expected.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi 

I didn't find anything special about these pins. Is there any code related to these pins in the program?

J5 18 PTD6 LIN_RX
J5 1 PTA15
J5 3 PTA16

D2(LED GREEN) is SDA_LED which controlled by K20. Please check the voltage of TP12(SDA_RST) and J9 (P3V3_SDA).

D2 TP12.png

Best Regards,
Robin
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

QES
Contributor I

Hi Robin,

The issue occurs when I have external circuitry powered up, such that A15 or A16 may be high (5v). D6 is high at 3.3v. When I plug the USB cable into the dev board, the S32K processor does not boot at all. D2 LED_GREEN is flashing periodically at about once per second. All other leds are not driven.

This tells me that the SDA micro must be running something in order to flash the LED D2, however I think it is not allowing the S32K144 to boot. The SDA debugger can not be detected in this situation from the NXP S32 design studio. A good starting point would be to explain what the flashing D2 means inside the SDA micro?

I will check the voltages later today.

Regards my program, the application is reading those port pins A15 and A16, and D6 is used as an RX UART. However since the program is not able to boot, I do not believe the issue lies with the application software. Likewise, if I power down my external circuitry, then plug the USB cable in, then power up external circuit, the dev board is working fine - open SDA is working, my application is working e.g. UART, and IO pins A15 and A16.

I hope this clarifies a few points. Will let you know the test points. 

Is there a document for the open SDA micro to see what flashing D2 means?

0 Kudos

Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Sorry for the delay.
Please refer the answer in: Use 12v supply,NXP S32K146 Red LED is blink
Please try to Enter OpenSDA Bootloader Mode and then click SDA_INFO.HTML check the Application Version.

0 Kudos

QES
Contributor I

Hi Robin, sorry for a slow response - I had to wait to visit a site to check the board.

However, I dont understand how Use 12v supply,NXP S32K146 Red LED is blink is able to answer my question? That thread seems inconclusive, and a somewhat different issue.

I have tried to check the bootloader version, as best as I can tell it is as follows:

<input name="BOOTVER" type="hidden" id="BOOTVER" value="1.13" />
<input name="APPVER" type="hidden" id="APPVER" value="1.19" />

When I open the SDA_INFO.HTM it takes me to the https://www.pemicro.com/opensda/index.cfm, and I was unable to see the version in a web browser, so I check the HTML in a text editor.

Is this version of bootloader ok? I am not sure.

The bootloader document is also ambiguous, as there are 2 rows in the table for 'blinking'.

I didn't have a scope to measure the blinking duration on my visit, but it would be helpful if the duration of the application blink was specified, then I would know which issue I am seeing.

QES_0-1650627195933.png

Sorry, I still dont know why micro will not boot when GPIO pins are high, can you help me some more please?

0 Kudos

Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I just want to ensure the  bootloader Version and Application Version are ok. Will OpenSDA fail to boot by directly pulling up VDD with external resistors on these pins? 

If not, It appears that your external circuit is causing the problem. Have you checked the schematic? 

J10 and R63 are DNP, the the VDD is powered by P5V0. Why you connect PTD6 to 3.3v but connect PTA15 and PTA16 to 5v?

0 Kudos