cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32 Design Studio on Linux with S32G2 SDK - Problems

Jump to solution
halilmutlu
Contributor II

I have installed S32DS 3.4 on Ubuntu 18.04 and had some issues, and wondering if anyone else had similar problems and find any solution.

I have followed instructions on the S32DS_Installation_Guide_3.4.0 document and it completed and run succesfully. Then I have installed RTD and other drivers.

First issue is that "S32DS Extensions and Updates" window somehow do not show every package. S32G2 Development pack, GCC toolchains S32 Design Studio and Configuration Tools 3.4.1 package (comes with package manager bundle) are there, but other SDK packages did not appear after adding the update-site. I worked around this using Help/Install new software... section which let me install those packages.

The other issue is, although configuration tools run and seems to work fine, they do not generate some of generated source code. I have tried FreeRTOS toggle led example and RTD Siul Dio Ip example for S32G274A, peripheral tool did not generate Suil related code (others generated fine) without showing any errors and I was unable to build.

I have tried several fresh installation, tried using only package manager bundle SDKs, Configuration Tools 3.4.1 and 3.4.3 versions and RTD HF2, HF4, 3.0 versions the results never changed.

I do not know if S32G2 SDK is officially supported for Linux, I am guessing not. However it looks like it is almost there, also seems a lot quicker and more efficient than on Windows. I am posting because maybe somebody had a workaround about second issue or NXP would know about it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
halilmutlu
Contributor II

Found the problem. The paths in the SDK files were written case-insensitively, which is OK for Windows but not for Linux. Manually changing them fixed the issue and example built correctly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MarkZhou19
Contributor I

The problem of not being able to download the RTD SDK, I found the solution.

Instead of using the default S32DS Extensions and Updates... , use the authentic "install new software" function of eclipse

MarkZhou19_0-1667429485310.png

MarkZhou19_1-1667429698754.png

 Input this address, you'll find the sdk to download

http://www.nxp.com/lgfiles/updates/Eclipse/APSW/S32DS_3.4

0 Kudos
Can_Do_bus
Contributor III

Where exactly do you need to change the path?  I have installed the design studio Version: 3.4
Build id: 201217 (Update 3) on Ubuntu 20.04, its an arduous task just to install the software, it needs around 5GB hard disk space and almost 2 hours to install.

After installation I have to install Oracle JDK or else it won't start.

After it started, it was again installing the SDK's which took another hour.

Can_Do_bus_0-1647829626799.png

After this when I try to create a project from example, the examples are not there I only see these two

Can_Do_bus_1-1647829712003.png

The pin configuration tool also complains processor not chosen, how to fix this?

0 Kudos
halilmutlu
Contributor II

It looks like SDK is not installed correctly, you should have seen the examples if otherwise. For first time setup, I would follow the manuals step by step and do everything on Windows (since it is the actual supported OS for the SDKs).

Nevertheless to answer your question what exactly I change to solve my problem,

under installation directory in folder "NXP/S32DS.3.4/eclipse/mcu_data/components ", there are data for generating code. These file names and their references in the .js files are written case insensitively. I have changed the ones I could catch manually, that has done the job.

0 Kudos
Can_Do_bus
Contributor III

Thank you for replying, it appears those examples are based on S32_SDK_RTM however only the Freemaster SDK is installed as the part of Design studio, can you please check whether you have the S32_SDK_RTM installed on your linux version. I have posted a separate thread just to get some official response.

I have a separate installation of Design Studio ARM 2.2 that has the examples installed correctly which has both freemaster SDK and S32SDK.

I was tempted to install this monster under the assumption that it will do the pin configurations etc on Linux.

0 Kudos
halilmutlu
Contributor II

Normally SDKs are installed through Extensions & Updates tool addressing update-site zip files as explained here. But as I mentioned in the post, in Linux, most packages do not appear (probably because they do not have official linux support) so I have installed them through "Install New Software..." section, addressing update-site zip archives. I always install and test them on Windows machine before installing on linux though.

0 Kudos
Can_Do_bus
Contributor III

Thanks for engaging, my issue is mainly to find those zip files, the SDK I found on NXP site was an exe and not a zip file. Do you have a link?

0 Kudos
Can_Do_bus
Contributor III

I have managed to install, it was just hidden in the CDT plugins page. Took an hour to install for some reason. Now I have the latest  examples.

Can_Do_bus_0-1647888942735.png

0 Kudos
halilmutlu
Contributor II

Found the problem. The paths in the SDK files were written case-insensitively, which is OK for Windows but not for Linux. Manually changing them fixed the issue and example built correctly.

0 Kudos