cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enable onboard ethernet on 5020 board

Jump to solution
mike_w
Contributor II

Having studied the supplied documentation ...

Out of the box. our Hydra 5020 board does not appear to enable the onboard Vitesse network interfaces, using the supplied U-boot (U-Boot 2011.06-rc2 (Jun 09 2011 - 20:35:52) or Linux (Linux p5020ds-32b 2.6.34.6 #1 SMP Fri Jun 10 00:02:11 HKT 2011 ppc GNU/Linux).

(U-boot)

PHY reset timed out

FM1@DTSEC1 connected to Generic PHY

PHY reset timed out

FM1@DTSEC2 connected to Generic PHY

PHY reset timed out

FM1@DTSEC3 connected to Generic PHY

FM1@DTSEC4 connected to Vitesse VSC8244

FM1@DTSEC5 connected to Vitesse VSC8244

PHY reset timed out

FM1@TGEC1 connected to Generic 10G PHY

FM1@DTSEC1, FM1@DTSEC2, FM1@DTSEC3, FM1@DTSEC4 [PRIME], FM1@DTSEC5, FM1@TGEC1

(Linux)

Freescale PowerQUICC MII Bus: probed

mdio_bus mdio@ffe4e1120: /soc@ffe000000/fman@400000/mdio@e1120/hydra-mdio-rgmii has invalid PHY addres

mdio_bus mdio@ffe4e1120: /soc@ffe000000/fman@400000/mdio@e1120/hydra-mdio-sgmii has invalid PHY addres

Freescale XGMAC MDIO Bus: probed

mdio_bus mdio: error probing PHY at address 4

mdio_bus mdio: error probing PHY at address 0

Could not find real MDIO bus for

Freescale Hydra MDIO Bus: probed

Freescale Hydra MDIO Bus: probed

mdio_bus hydra-mdio-sgmii@72: error probing PHY at address 28

mdio_bus hydra-mdio-sgmii@72: error probing PHY at address 29

mdio_bus hydra-mdio-sgmii@72: error probing PHY at address 30

mdio_bus hydra-mdio-sgmii@72: error probing PHY at address 31

INIT: version 2.86 booting

Please wait: booting...

Starting udev

Remounting root file system...

Caching udev devnodes

Populating dev cache

Configuring network interfaces... Cannot find device "eth0"

The current value of hwconfig is:

hwconfig=fsl_ddr:ctlr_intlv=cacheline,bank_intlv=cs0_cs1;fsl_fm1_xaui_phy:xfi

Any suggestions about how to enable networking ? Should this not work "out of the box" ?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
mike_w
Contributor II

1. U-boot issue solved by setting valid ipaddr, netmask and gateway values, or by using 'dhcp' command.

2. Linux net interface issue "solved" by setting explicit IP address [ eg. ip addr add 172.31.11.194/24 dev fm1-gb3 ], appears to needs more work to seamlessly get address via DHCP.

Thanks for your attention, Timur Tabi. I have obviously been spoilt on earlier systems that did not need as much tweaking - also network here had a nonstandard g/w address.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
timurtabi
Contributor III

What SerDes protocol are you using, and are you sure your RCW options match the way the board is configured?

0 Kudos
mike_w
Contributor II

Neither the P5020DS Users' Guide rev 1.0 nor the Linux SDK documents give any settings for network functionality.

It is assumed in the docs that the board talks to the network from its initial state.

None of the DIP switch settings SW1-SW10 (Fig 3-17 Board Control) appear to have any control, having checked the settings against Table 5 in the HW Getting Started guide

The Users' Guide does not give any guidance on any other settings for network control - although Table 3-6 does show how network device mappings are controlled by EMI1/2 and GPIO0-3. Still, that shows Onboard Vitess(e) VSC8244 as 'default' for GPIO =000

"What SerDes protocol are you using" - whatever U-Boot (and the 'stock' Linux build) has configured as default !

As stated, this is operation effectively 'out of the box'.

The U-Boot message does suggest that connection to the onboard PHYs has succeeded although the Reset operation has timed out.

But with either network interface wired to a network switch, no link comes up, and the ethX interfaces do not show up in Linux.

0 Kudos
timurtabi
Contributor III

Well, I don't know what comes "out of the box", so unless you answer my questions, I can't help you.  Obviously, whatever the defaults are, they are not working, so let's move beyond that and try to debug it.

0 Kudos
mike_w
Contributor II

1. U-boot issue solved by setting valid ipaddr, netmask and gateway values, or by using 'dhcp' command.

2. Linux net interface issue "solved" by setting explicit IP address [ eg. ip addr add 172.31.11.194/24 dev fm1-gb3 ], appears to needs more work to seamlessly get address via DHCP.

Thanks for your attention, Timur Tabi. I have obviously been spoilt on earlier systems that did not need as much tweaking - also network here had a nonstandard g/w address.

0 Kudos
xiaofengren
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Although your problem had been fixed, can you please share your original log when you met problem with me? Then I can have more clear concept about what's your real problem.

Thanks

0 Kudos
timurtabi
Contributor III

Yeah, I don't know why we don't enable DHCP by default in U-Boot, but it's probably because our internal testing environment doesn't use it.

0 Kudos
ed_swarthout
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

As Mike noted, dhcp is enabled (in corenet_ds) in u-boot.  It will set the ip variables and tftp get $bootfile.

Once they are set, the ip=$ipaddr parm can be used in bootargs so Linux would not need to use a dhcp client.

Maybe this option should be described in:

Software and Tools Information Center > QorIQ SDK Documentation > Configuration > Software Configurations > Selecting Ethernet Interfaces > Introduction

0 Kudos
ed_swarthout
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I should point out that a u-boot-only dchp will only work for situations where the server assigns a static ip address tied to the mac and didn't assign a dynamic ip address with a lease time which needs to be renewed.

0 Kudos