cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Writing to SRAM with pass-through using Peek&Poke

jacob_hallenborg
Contributor II

Hi,

I'm trying to write an NDEF message from a phone to the SRAM of an NTAG I2C Plus NT3H2211.

The goal is to do this from an Arduino. But I'm experimenting with the registers using the Peek & Poke GUI tool to see if it works at all. I have not yet been successful.

I've read the datasheet, the application note, the FAQ and other posts in this forum, but I've not got the configuration and session register right, I think.

The NC_REG is set to 7D

The NDEF message ends upp in the EPROM section, instead of the SRAM.

And when opening the session register, the PTHRU_ON_OFF is always off, which is probably wrong.

1) Is it possible at all to verify this operation by looking at the SRAM section in Peek & Poke?

2) Please see the screenshot below, does the config registry look right? 

@Jorge_Gonzalez @Kan_Li 

Kind regards,

Jacob

0 Kudos
5 Replies

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Could you please help me with more details on what are you trying to achieve ? Are you trying to write to the NTAG without affecting the EEPROM life span ?
Are you looking for the SRAM mirroring approach ? is this from the iOS perspective or from the Arduino one ?
While we do not have any example for the Arduino, if you are looking for the SRAM mirroring I would recommend you to check the available examples we have for some other NXP MCU's . You can download them from the MCUXpresso SDK builder , for example the K64 has the middleware for the NTAG I2C.

You can also check the following community posts :

https://community.nxp.com/t5/NFC/SRAM-Mirror-update-via-NFC/m-p/788838

https://community.nxp.com/t5/NFC/How-to-reliably-activate-pass-through-mode-for-NXP-I2C-NTAG-2k/m-p/...

Also, please help me check this application note.

Regards,

Estephania

0 Kudos

jacob_hallenborg
Contributor II

Hi Estephania,

Thanks for your reply.

That's correct, I'm trying to write an NDEF message from a phone to the NTAG without wearing down the EEPROM. The message is to be read by the Arduino in the end.

The NTAG configuration I'm trying to achieve is from the Arduinos perspective. 

I'm not sure whether mirroring is the best approach for us or not. This will be a one-direction communication.

I've read the posts you're referring to and the application note.

I will look into the code examples for the K64, thanks.

I've got two questions:

1) I've managed to write an NDEF to the EEPROM using the OM5569 Explorer Kit together with  Peek&Poke. Do you know if it's possible to explore the SRAM approach using these tools?

2) Did you see the attached screenshot illustrating the NC_REG configuration I had using Peek&Poke? Does it make sense?

Kind regards,

Jacob

0 Kudos

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

I believe that you mean something like the stated in chapter  11 Communication and arbitration between NFC and I2C interface of the data sheet of the device.  In the chapter you will find the pages and addresses that you will need to access in order to check the SRAM, it will depend the mode you are using  as it changes if you are using the Pass Through Mode, SRAM, Mirroring , etc.

If you are looking into doing it through the Arduino perspective, maybe it could be a good idea to check the K64 examples as you can find there the different drivers for the NTAG I2C usage and you cna really use them as a base as you will only need to adapt the I2cC drivers to the one of your MCU and use the rest of the structure and process as a base.

Regards,

Estephania

0 Kudos

jacob_hallenborg
Contributor II

Hi Estephania,

I wonder if you have had the time to look at my original question which is:

Is it possible to experiment with the various Pass-through and SRAM configurations using the following of your products?

OM5569 Explorer Kit

* Peek And Poke Application

It would be great to get an indication from you whether it's worthwhile for us to continue that path or not.

Kind regards,

Jacob

0 Kudos

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

While you can configure the registers with the peek and poke and the OM5569  you are using , you will need to take into that  both interfaces need to be ON for the pass-through mode to be enabled (I2C and NFC) .

So, you can configure the registers and write by using the tool but you will need to ensure about the requirements for the correct usage of them, as well as considering the different set up in your arduino.

Regards,

Estephania

Regards ,

Estephania

0 Kudos