ICODE SLIX SL2S2602 - Do I need to issue SET PASSWORD before first WRITE PASSWORD?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICODE SLIX SL2S2602 - Do I need to issue SET PASSWORD before first WRITE PASSWORD?

AndyVictors
Contributor II

I am trying to make blank unused tag password protected. 

I issue WRITE PASSWORD command (0xB4) according to data sheet, in addressed mode: 
[ 20, B4, 04, 45, FC, 45, 33, 08, 01, 04, E0, 02, D7, 49, DB, A0 ]

I get an error response with the code below (which does not convey any additional info actually)
[ 0F]

The only thing I can think of - the data sheet says SET PASSWORD must be issued before, but for me this is ambigious with the unprotected tag - I can see that I can write NDEF records to the blank tag without issuing SET PASSWORD before. 

So do I need to issue SET PASSWORD with 0 0 0 0 before doing WRITE PASSWORD  with the proper password? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

AndyVictors
Contributor II

Thank you, it was not straightforward that one needs to issue SET PASSWORD even if tag has been never password protected yet, and this was unfortunately not directly mentioned in documentation. It works now for me.

0 Kudos

Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Good to know! Thanks for the update!

Have a great day,
Kan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!
- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @AndyVictors ,

Yes, The WRITE PASSWORD command enables a new password to be written into the related memory if the related old password has already been transmitted with a SET PASSWORD command and the addressed password is not locked . Please also note the WRITE PASSWORD command can only be executed in addressed or selected mode. The new password takes effect immediately which means that the new password has to be transmitted with the SET PASSWORD command to access protected blocks/pages.

If the addressed block is part of a write protected page or only protected with the Read Password (see Section 9.5.3.6 "PROTECT PAGE") and the password has not been transmitted first with the SET PASSWORD command the label will respond according to the error handling (see Section 9.6 "Error handling"). so if the tag is unprotected, no need to issue the SET PASSWORD before performing the write block operation.

Hope that makes sense,

Have a great day,
Kan

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!
- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos