cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PWM Capture for S32K3 in Simulink

amir1374
Contributor II

Hi, 

I am using NXP MBDT for S32K3 in Simulink to code on a S32K3-Q257 processor.

I want to read a PWM signal using a DI GPIO on K3 and capture the frequency and duty cycle. However, I am not sure which peripherals, or blocks I need to use for this application. Is there an example of PWM capture for S32K3 in simulink, I can use?

I couldn't find any related examples in MBDT for K3 1.4  library.

Thanks,

Amir

0 Kudos
3 Replies

georgevictor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, @amir1374,

Thank you for using our toolbox.

A PWM signal can be read using a variety of techniques. We may have some applications that might help you in achieving your goal. Along with these examples, I'll make some suggestions that may be useful to you:

1. Use DIO (Digital Input-Output module)

You can read digital signals connected to your board using the DIO block from our toolbox, as you suggested. The DIO group is located within the S32K3_Examples folder and contains various applications that demonstrate the process of writing and reading digital signals. You can achieve your goal by connecting your PWM signal to a board pin configured for the DIO component, as well as performing some computation to determine the HIGH and LOW times of the signal. The GPT (general purpose timer) block can be used to calculate the ticks between the HIGH and LOW signal times.

2. Use ICU (Input Capture Unit) 

The best component that fits your purpose is the ICU component that is specialized in reading signals characteristics.

Currently, the MBDT for S32K3xx does not support ICU but we will take these into consideration for our future planning, however, taking into consideration that we include the entire RTD drivers package, you can use the component in our toolbox.

• You need to add and configure it first in the external configuration tool.
  • Now that the configuration of the component is completed, to call its API functions for implementing your application, you could start by using the custom code block provided by Simulink. Please note that you will also need to include the header files for the component to be able to use specific functions.
  • Also, you will need to call the initialization function for the added component.
  • Moreover, you have a good example for your use in s32k3xx_isr_custom_code_ebt, where the ICU component is used with custom code.

The RTD documentation goes into great detail about DIO or ICU configuration and usage. The Code Generation section of each block help contains a link to the component's RTD User Manual and, in some cases, a link to the AUTOSAR Specification if the component is AUTOSAR compliant.

Hope that my suggestions helped you.

Best regard,

Victor

0 Kudos

amir1374
Contributor II

Hi @georgevictor,

Thank you for your reply.

1) Regarding the first method using DIO, you are saying I can use use a pin that is configured as eMIOS and just read it using a DIO read block and use the signal to measure the duty cycle or frequency. Would this measurement be interrupt? I mean, if I set my simulation time step 0.1s, would this method be able to detect PWM signals with frequencies greater than 10? Also, where can I get the GPT block? I was not able to figure out the related library, or the actual name.

2) I tried to set up an ICU channel to capture the input PWM, as shown in the attached image. The ICU channel is set as an ICUeMIOs, however, I am not able to figure out which block in Simulink can output the measured duty cycle. Could you please also comment on this? 

Thanks.

amir1374_0-1694466361712.png

0 Kudos

georgevictor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, @amir1374,

Regarding the two approaches suggested:

1. The DIO pin and the eMIOS pin can’t be the same. A hardware connection between these two needs to be done. Given that the DIO block reading frequency is limited by the model step time, as you mentioned, and that estimating the interval between two signal edges is somewhat difficult, I suggest you to use the second proposed method. 

1. For the moment we don’t have an ICU block that handles the ICU API. However, as detailed in the previous post, you can access the RTD API by using Simulink custom code blocks. This is the example previously mentioned that uses the custom code functionality and fits just right for your ICU component:

georgevictor_0-1696314540713.png

Hope this helps,

Victor

0 Kudos