Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAppID Bootloader on MPC5777C

Jump to solution
berat24
Contributor III

Hello everyone,

I would like to learn what exactly purpose of rappid bootloader is. Also, could you explain me what is the difference between RAppID Bootloader vs usual serial bootloader.

As far as I understand, in rappid bootloader, cpu jumps to application code if there is no any valid data in serial port for bootloader. However, if we look at the serial bootloader process, it resets within 21 seconds and starts over if there is no any valid data in serial port for bootloader.

Sincerely.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Yes, that's correct.

When you want to upload new application, it's just necessary to turn on (or reset) the board and within about 2-3 seconds click on the "Start Bootloader" in the GUI.

Regards,

Lukas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Berat,

Rappid bootloader is a SW solution of flash resident bootloader. You are supposed to load the RBF file to the flash via JTAG interface and then you can load your application / s19 file using the GUI.

After reset, the Rappid bootloader is always started. It only initializes serial interfaces and waits defined period of time if GUI asks to load new application. If not, it just jump to the application which is already loaded in flash.

If we are talking about BAM bootloader, it is only hardware feature of the microcontroller to support serial boot. As we already discussed, serial boot is triggered either externally by BOOTCFG pins or internally via DCF record. Then it loads your binary image to RAM and then the BAM jumps to your image. This image needs to be developed by yourself and it's supposed to be secondary bootloader which is supposed to get application image from somewhere (via the serial interface, for example) and program it to flash.

So, the main difference is: Rappid bootloader is complete plug&play solution and serial boot over BAM needs to be completely developed by you. Next option is to develop own solution of flash resident bootloader similar to Rappid.

Regards,

Lukas

0 Kudos
berat24
Contributor III

Dear @lukaszadrapa ;

First of all, thank you for your kind and detailed response.

I am planning to follow these steps mentioned below for rappid bootloader. I would like to take your feedback about that. 

Step 1: I will send RBF file to my flash with JTAG. RBF file is here (https://community.nxp.com/t5/S32-Design-Studio-Knowledge-Base/RAppID-Bootloader-custom-rbf-files/ta-...)

Step 2: RBF will permanently resident in flash.

Step3: After each power-on, bootloader starts to run. If there is no valid data, it jumps application code. 

Step4: If there is valid data, it updates application code. 

Sincerely.

0 Kudos
lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Yes, that's correct.

When you want to upload new application, it's just necessary to turn on (or reset) the board and within about 2-3 seconds click on the "Start Bootloader" in the GUI.

Regards,

Lukas

0 Kudos