[build] arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe: error: -E or -x required when input is from standard input

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[build] arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe: error: -E or -x required when input is from standard input

Jump to solution
nxp29347
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I have an i.MX8MQ board and tried to compile the hello world example(s) for it (and also other boards and even a led_blinky example) and always get this error:

I got it when I first tried to install all the tools manually the old way, but got the same now with the new way.

Just some additional version info:

VS Code version 1.84.2 (user setup)
MCUXpresso SDK 2.14.0 EVK-MIMX8MQ (via Git Repo)
arm-gnu-toolchain-12.2.rel1-mingw-w64-i686-arm-none-eabi
cmake-3.24.2-windows-x86_64

Any idea what that is, why I get this, or even how get rid of it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
nxp29347
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Finally found the problem and a solution:

I had "OneDrive - NXP" in my project path which somehow did not get escaped correctly. Now I simply put it to a path without spaces and " - " and now it works.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
brian14
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @nxp29347

We recently tried the "hello world" example for the iMX8MN using the VS Code and we documented at this article:
How to Use Segger J-Link Plus with i.MX 8M Process... - NXP Community

Also, we used the host configuration described at this manual:
Training: Walkthrough of MCUXpresso for VS Code - NXP Community

You can try uninstalling your previous setup and try the process described on those articles.

0 Kudos
nxp29347
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hmm, I tried, and got the same result again.

It actually took me quite a while, because most of the installed tools, don't have any uninstall functionality.

But if it works for you, maybe you could paste your used versions of the tools and SDK, because the walkthrough is rather outdated and refers to some very old versions?

Would be good if you also could try with a fresh install with the newest versions (if you didn't do already).

Not sure if it's important but I work on

Edition Windows 11 Enterprise
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎2023-‎03-‎24
OS build 22621.2715
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22677.1000.0

Thx again

0 Kudos
nxp29347
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Finally found the problem and a solution:

I had "OneDrive - NXP" in my project path which somehow did not get escaped correctly. Now I simply put it to a path without spaces and " - " and now it works.

0 Kudos