How can I run "hello world" app demo in IDE without connecting with board?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I run "hello world" app demo in IDE without connecting with board?

Jump to solution
nnxxpp
Contributor II

I am a newbie with NXP board.

I installed MCUXpresso IDE, but now I do not have a board. I installed SDK and created project "hello world" for the board. I built my project. How can I run "hello world" app demo in IDE without connecting with board?

Could I create a simple C/C++ project in the IDE, build and run it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alex_Wang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, @nnxxpp 

When speaking about the hardware, there are some differences between these two EVK, not to mention that some hardware components might be on different positions along the boards.
One that I’d like to mention is that EVKB comes with an integrated M.2 interface.

About the Software. I’d like to mention that for instance, you will find that there are some Wireless modules that are not supported on both EVK’s. This can be found in UM11441. For more SDK information, I’d recommend you to take a look to the MCUXpresso SDK Release Notes for each board. You can find them inside the SDK bundle.

I strongly recommend you to take a look to the MIMXRT1060/1064 Evaluation Kit Board Hardware User's Guide and MIMXRT1060-EVKB Board User Manual to see with more detail the differences between these two.
All this documents are available in here: https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/arm-microcontrollers/i-mx-rt-crossover-...

SDK: https://mcuxpresso.nxp.com/en/welcome

You can refer to the Quick Start guide on how to use it:Getting Started with the MIMXRT1060-EVK | NXP Semiconductors

I really hope this helps. If you have any other question, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Best regards, Alex

View solution in original post

7 Replies
nnxxpp
Contributor II

@ErichStyger Thank you for your help.

@Alex_Wang Thanks. I have one more question. When I connect board to PC by micro USB cable for debugging (specifically I will run TF Lite model), do I need to power a board by DC IN 5V? As my understanding, it does not need power a board by DC IN 5V for debugging. It is only for standalone working of board.

0 Kudos
Alex_Wang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, @nnxxpp 

In general, "micro USB cable for debugging" (Link2 or MCU-Link) can provide power supply and debugging. If convenient, please tell me what development board you are using.

Best regards, Alex

nnxxpp
Contributor II

@Alex_Wang 

Thanks. We are buying Mimrt1060. I dont remember the exact name of the board. I see that there are 2 version of mimrt1060: evk and evkb. What is the difference between MIMXRT1060-EVK / EVKB?

0 Kudos
Alex_Wang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, @nnxxpp 

When speaking about the hardware, there are some differences between these two EVK, not to mention that some hardware components might be on different positions along the boards.
One that I’d like to mention is that EVKB comes with an integrated M.2 interface.

About the Software. I’d like to mention that for instance, you will find that there are some Wireless modules that are not supported on both EVK’s. This can be found in UM11441. For more SDK information, I’d recommend you to take a look to the MCUXpresso SDK Release Notes for each board. You can find them inside the SDK bundle.

I strongly recommend you to take a look to the MIMXRT1060/1064 Evaluation Kit Board Hardware User's Guide and MIMXRT1060-EVKB Board User Manual to see with more detail the differences between these two.
All this documents are available in here: https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/arm-microcontrollers/i-mx-rt-crossover-...

SDK: https://mcuxpresso.nxp.com/en/welcome

You can refer to the Quick Start guide on how to use it:Getting Started with the MIMXRT1060-EVK | NXP Semiconductors

I really hope this helps. If you have any other question, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Best regards, Alex

nnxxpp
Contributor II

@Alex_Wang 

Thank you for detailed information.

0 Kudos
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Yes, you can do this (but of course not using the NXP SDK, as it is for the target board/device).

You can use the host GNU gcc compiler/debugger (installed separately) and build and debug applications with the IDE, as with any other Eclipse distribution. The thing is that you are not doing cross-development, but native development instead.

For 'real embedded' development you would need a board or simulator, e.g. QUEMU (https://www.qemu.org/).

Alex_Wang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, @nnxxpp 

Currently, the MCUXpresso IDE does not support debugging without connecting to the board. You can Use "Use simulator" in Keil uVision5 to run the simulation, as follows:

Alex_Wang_0-1713347842446.jpeg

After setting, click the analog debugging button to debug.

Alex_Wang_1-1713347901554.jpeg

Best regards, Alex

0 Kudos